7.5 PH But high FC - should I raise ph to be safe?

Ejosh87

May 11, 2019
Florida
My CYA is 120 and FC is 20-30 (retesting tomorrow). My ph on meter shows 7.0 (but may be calibrated wrong) and on tf100 test shows about 7.5. Assuming that high FC can cause ph to read higher than it is, do you think I should add some Borax to raise ph 0.3 to be safe?

I know I really should fire my pool company and take over, do the drain, and start fully balancing but I’ve been little hesitant to pull the trigger immediately since I’m still learning everything.

Figure in the meantime I should balance what I can until I take over fully.

Might as well just take over yourself. If you’re seeing the errors and the company that you’re paying doesn’t then I think you could save some money. Everyone on this site could guide you through it no problem. And once your numbers are balanced and you have your rhythm down it’ll be a breeze. You already have the test kit

That is true. Might just do that.

Reactions: JackinthaBox
No. Don't mess with the pH.

First, when I was forced to maintain things with CYA twice what you have, I had to keep FC in the 20s. My pH would read right for a few seconds. If I looked again after running some other test, it would have changed and gone waaay up. So your pH is probably pretty close.

Second. why treat a bunch of water that ought to be dumped? Your CYA is 120 now (you think --- testing by dilution increases the margin of error; estimating without dilution will definitely be wrong) and if you keep the pool service it's going to go up probably another 10 per week.

You've got the test kit. The chemistry is actually far easier than you imagine or have been led to believe. If you understand the plumbing layout and own a vacuum and brush and know how they connect, you're in business! If you don't, figure them out. Watch the pool guys. Whatever it takes. Even if you have to go buy a hose and a pole and a vacuum, it;'ll be repaid before September because you won't be paying the service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.