AG losing water and water freezing on cover. Help!

Dec 14, 2013
Hi. Bought house with existing above ground pool (age unknown but less than 10 years) this spring. Pool School got us throughout the summer with no real problems. Thanks!

In September we treated water and drained to about 6" below skimmer. Bought a new mesh cover and followed the included directions to allow it to sit on the surface of the water rather than be suspended tight above water. We left some partially inflated floats/rafts in the pool instead of pillows. Unfortunately they seem to have popped or lost most of their air.

Water has been constantly pooling on top of the cover. Seems to be coming from the pool rather than just from rain. We've pumped it off, but it returns and leaves were constantly falling in and mounding despite our attempts to clear the cover frequently. We also noticed that the water level in the pool has dropped to about halfway up the wall, from what we can see. Unsure if we have a leak (didn't notice one during the summer) or if we were possibly pumping water out of the pool when we were trying to drain the cover. The cover has stretched significantly. The leaves are finally almost done, but we've had snow and there is a layer of ice on top of the cover.

At this point we are more concerned with protecting the pool itself that the water. Should we unattach the cover and let it fall into the pool (since we won't be able to remove it with the ice/water on it)? I'd like to be able to more clearly see the water level in the pool to know if it's dropping. Should we add water? We are in coastal southern New Jersey, with nighttime temperatures often below freezing, daytime usually above freezing. My other idea was to try to pump water from the cover back into the pool itself.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Welcome to TFP !
I'm thinking since it's a mesh cover and it's sitting on top of the water, the pool water is coming thru and your pumping that off. Did the water level stay the same prior to the cover being put on ?
Do you see any unusual wet spots around pool ? I would leave the cover on the pool. As long as the pool is half full with water the pool will be fine.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Can you open the skimmer and look into the pool just to check for obvious tears in the liner? I would not let the water level get any lower than 1/2 full.
If this is the type of cover that water is supposed to pass through then I wouldn't pump any water off and I would try to raise the water level a little higher, but still below the skimmer. Can you post a picture of the pool with the cover in place?

Hi. I tried to attach pictures but haven't been successful yet. I did peek under the cover and saw that the water level in the pool is far below halfway. Darn. I guess I will add some water but I'm still worried about the cover full of ice and water. It dips nearly to the floor of the pool in the center. Still think I can leave it there? Thanks.

You can use photobucket or one of the other free photo hosting websites to host your picture and post it to the forum. Your pool needs to be at least 1/2 way filled with water to maintain structural integrity. The weight of snow and ice on the cover may cause the walls to buckle or high wind can blow the walls out of the track if the pool is nearly empty. You should be able to slip a hose under the cover or through the skimmer to add more water to the pool. Don't pump any off the cover and check to see if the level drops in a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.