Waterfall Question

Sep 12, 2013
Keller, TX
We have had our pool filled for about a month now and we are still having issues with our waterfall. We did a dry stack waterfall with 2 scuppers and the water is bleading thru to the back of the waterfall. The company that did the waterfall is telling me that because it is a dry stack water will always go thru the stone especially when the wind blows. I was under the impression that the dry stack could have mortar applied to the inside of the waterfall where it is not noticed but prevents water from going into the actual feature. I am worried that constantly having water in there will cause the stone to deteriorate much faster. If anyone has knowledge of this or can let me know if it is normal or not I would appreciate it.

Our waterfall leaks as well on the back side. The pool inspector said, when we bought our house, that it was common and of no concern. If I had to estimate it probably is a gallon an hour maybe less. He said that it is stone and water is going to find its way through it. I will be interested to see if someone with more experience on the matter speaks to if that is correct.

My big ugly stacked rock water feature leaks out the back as well. Thus making me not use it much. It is just ugly stone with mortar between all the rocks. We have considered try to come up with a way to seal it and make it not as ugly ... like maybe applying mortar over the entire thing and having it artistically painted like they do with the fake rocks. But not sure if that would actually seal it or look any good.

I think the resolution they have come up with is they will keep the dry stack on the front but are going to mortar on the back side to keep it from going thru. We decided this would be fine since the back side will have landscaping around it and we want to make sure nothing starts to grow in between the stone into the waterfall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.