New build in Orlando FL

So do VS pumps use less electric than 2-speed always or just in certain situations?
When they do the same amount of "work" (flow), they will generally consume the same amount of electricity. That's a generalization.
How much $$ up front am I saving going with the 2-speed?
You can look up the different pricing on the internet.

Don't overthink this too much. Both will work just fine. A 2-speed will be noticeably less front money and, therefore, pass the savings back to you quicker (over a single speed). A VS gives you some flexibility but you will pay for it in front money. It really depends on what you decide you want.

The saga to find the right builder continues. All Seasons rep coming out later today. So far I haven't been overly impressed with any of them. The mark up at every stage of construction and equipment really runs up the bill! Plus they're so inconsistent on individual items. For example, I've been quoted anywhere from $400 to $2500 on pebble finish. I realize there are a few different brands but come on! Interestingly, despite the huge difference on individual items, the overall cost doesn't vary by more than a couple grand. Each builder seems to gouge in some areas, and be reasonable in others. Any more recent Orlando area builds out there with suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was most concerned with the overall price of the project and didn't pay too much attention to individual line items between builders. It seems you've hit the nail on the head there...each will build in their profit differently (added into different line items). They all need to make money and I wouldn't expect them to document their quotes the same way in that regard. As long as it's apples to apples, you are good for the comparison. A more aggressive negotiator might have a different approach. I felt that by not negotiating away some of their profit, I was able to secure favors during the build process fairly easily. These favors were unforeseen smaller items (some not as little) that he just took care of.

Good luck!

I'm sure if a guy makes $10 grand off me he'll be fine throwing in a few hundred bucks of last minute items at the end. I find it kind of shady myself, and will keep looking for a more honest builder who's willing to show me the actual cost of things. I have no problem with them getting paid, but the price should be x per square foot, or x per gallon. These guys are running up the bill charging extra for every component of the pool...

Many of us always lament the other guy making too much money. Virtually none of us ever think WE make too much money.

If you think he is making too much money.....walk. You will never be satisfied.

bmoreswim said:
I was most concerned with the overall price of the project and didn't pay too much attention to individual line items between builders. It seems you've hit the nail on the head there...each will build in their profit differently (added into different line items). They all need to make money and I wouldn't expect them to document their quotes the same way in that regard. As long as it's apples to apples, you are good for the comparison. A more aggressive negotiator might have a different approach. I felt that by not negotiating away some of their profit, I was able to secure favors during the build process fairly easily. These favors were unforeseen smaller items (some not as little) that he just took care of.

Good luck!
+1
I noticed this too. Some PB's seem to add more profit to extra/specific items, some add a flat rate to everything. For example I wanted a gunite slide, the difference in cost of this item was massive - nearly $10k between different builders but the total price for the pool was very similar. I took a similar approach to you and focused on whole build cost. I feel fortunate my builder didn't nickel and dime me - what he quoted me is what I paid him (other than extras I specifically asked for after the original quote and even then only on big items; guttering, pre-plumbing for outdoor kitchen).

duraleigh said:
Many of us always lament the other guy making too much money. Virtually none of us ever think WE make too much money.

If you think he is making too much money.....walk. You will never be satisfied.
Very true. I focused on making sure I thought I was at fair market value and tried not to think in terms of the PB's profit - I didn't want to manage the project myself - I just didn't have the time for it.

I get what you guys are saying, it just seems like the pricing is intentionally high in anticipation of haggling. For example, the PB who quoted me yesterday gave me a $3k "discount" right in the initial estimate. With very little fuss he increased it to $4k. That's gotta be a pretty huge mark up to chop $4 grand off without flinching. The resultant price put it in line with other quotes I've gotten, so I guess it was just overpriced so they could make it look like they're willing to negotiate. Man, I hate buying cars too!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.