Help on valve settings

Outofbounds

Oct 8, 2013
Gulf Breeze, FL
A couple of weeks into the new to me pool, water is clear, chemistry is right, now to figure things out. I have noticed that the skimmers don't do a great job of skimming. If there is a good wind storm, and the pine needles and palms attack the pool, they will congregate in the skimmers, but they don't get pulled into the basket.

I have two valves, I expect one for skimmers, and one for the drains. The previous owner had both wide open, and likely never changed them, as they are frozen, and as I tried to close one, the handle snapped off in my hand ( no air leak fortunately). Obviously I am looking at changing the two valves out in time, likely when I replace the dysfunctional SWG that hasn't worked for a while.

Once this is done, should I expect that there is slight water movement in the skimmers, and live with the floating stuff that I will manually have to skim? Or should I close the drain valve slightly to gain more suction in the skimmers?

Thanks!

First when you replace the valves, use pool valves like Neverlube and not cheap pvc valves.

Only when you can turn the valves will you know what they are for. They could be for each skimmer with the floor plumbed into the bottom of kind of the skimmers. There is no real need for much if any flow through the floor if it gives you better skimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.