2 problems with pump

Nov 16, 2013
Hello all,

I have 2 problems with my pump. 1. When I change the valve to pull in water only from the skimmer the pump looses prime. It appears to not pull enough water to keep the pump going. I thought there might be a partial clog so I used a plumbing bladder attached to garden hose to try and back flush the clog out. No luck.

I then tried to blow the line with a air compressor. Here comes problem 2: I screwed the fitting into the drain hole in the pump housing. As I was tightening the fitting I heard a slight crack. Now I'm getting small water leakage from the drain plug and air sucking into the pump turning my pool into a cold spa.

Is there any other way to check for blockage in my skimmer line? I think I have cracked the pump skimmer housing. Can I replace the housing with any housing or does it have to be the exact same one?

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. How high is the water level in the pool? Is it at least 1/2 way up the skimmer? If the water is not at least this high then when you pull from only the skimmer it creates a vortex and sucks air into the pump and that may cause you to loose prime. If the water level is low try adding more and see if that helps.

When you used the bladder did you try to force water out from the pump to the skimmer? Was there a good flow of water coming out while you where trying to flush the line?

If the crack at the drain plug is small you may want to try sealing it with a little silicone caulk. I think it would be best is you could match the pump pot with the same model. It will be the best fit for your current plumbing layout. What is the brand and model of your pump?

If you were getting air in the pump basket, I doubt that a clog is your problem.
Low water level can cause it, as Zea said, also the seal at the pump basket lid can cause it as well.

As Zea said, you'll pretty much have to replace the pump basket with the same make and model, or you'll have to change the whole pump.

The water level is slightly above the recommended level based on the arrow on the skimmer. I tried using the bladder from the pump pushing back towards the pool, there was enough water coming out to visually see it disturbing the existing water in the skimmer. Before I cracked the basket housing the pump was pulling water just fine from the main drain. It only would loose prime when I would divert the suction to the skimmer only.

I have tried using several layers of Teflon tape on the the drain plug and coated it in pipe dope, this actually seemed to make the problem worse. The pump I have is a A.O. Smith Century Centurion 3/4 HP. It looks like its attached to a Hayward skimmer housing.

Century centurion is the motor. The pump make and model is different.

Pulling water from the skimmer only has more suction head than the main drain so it will exacerbate a suction side leak. Once you repair or replace the pump basket, if the leak still persists, start looking at the fittings and valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.