Salt for SWG?

You just need to make sure there are no additives. I generally use the solar salt from Morton. The pellets will take longer to dissolve than the solar crystals, but it will not hurt anything.

The "pool" salt generally seems to just be solar salt that is ground up into a finer powder so it dissolves faster.

There is something called "diamond day" that someone on the forum started. When I add the salt, I generally do it when the kids are swimming so they can play with the crystals.

Just make sure it doesn't have sodium ferrocyanide anti caking agent. I was buying the water softener salt, 99.8% pure!, at Lowes because it was half the price of the salt at the pool store. All was fine for about a year and then the walls of my pool started staining a brownish color. That tested as iron with the vitamin C test and my fill water tested to have no iron. After scratching my head, doing the iron treatment recommended on this site twice, which was expensive, it dawned on me there was an anti caking agent listed on the bag. The "ferro" tipped me off and I googled the additive. Sure enough it's an iron based compound. I live in Houston and had a lot of rain that year and had to reapply salt many times due to water overflow to a drain from the rain. Apparently I reached whatever saturation level was needed and the iron came out of solution. I had a SWG and wasn't diligent about Ph management either. Lessons learned.
I finally drained the pool, bought pure salt from the pool store, a lot of it, and solved the problem. Lowes now carries pool salt but didn't at the time this happened. This was about 6 years back.
Pay the extra and make sure there is not an additive with a metal.
I took cowboy chemistry in college so I may be completely wrong. Feel free to correct me. All I know is the pool drain and the salt change worked. I screwed the pooch for a $4 per bag savings. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.