Blowing the main drain when it comes into the skimmer

Hi there,

I have an inground pool with the main draining coming into the skimmer basket.

I am trying to blow it out, but is very difficult because it is not hooked up to a valve or anything. Attached is a picture of it (I have both holes plugged now for winterizing) (I found this online, but same setup as mine, but I don't use the gizmo, I put in sole empty antifreeze containers)

I am wondering the best way to "try" to blow the line out as the water is pushing down on the main drain still. My shop vac nor compressor have enough pressure to blow it out, and even if I do, won't it just fill back in?

Right now, I put some foam rope down the line and capped it off.

I'm just worried because the only real give in that line is some foam rope.

Theine goes from the main drain like comes into the skimmer at the bottom, which is about 2-3 feet below ground (typical frost line is 3-4 feet)

If the water does freeze? Will I just push down, into where the water isn't frozen, and eventually stop freezing because it is below the frost line?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

Some people up here are saying not to even blow out the line, and some people are even saying not to cap the main drain line (but than water will eventually fill the skimmer basket)

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 99
an air compressor will have enough pressure, it just takes more time as it doesn't give out a large volume of air. You can use a blow through plug into the main drain side (it uses a valve stem like on a car tire) you blow through that plug and one you get bubbles out of the main drain you simply stop and the rubber plug should do the rest. Another alternative is to use about 18" of pvc pipe glued to a 1.5 Slip x male thread fitting. This fitting (once taped or pipe doped) will be screwed into place and allow you to more easily blow out the maindrain and plug it with a standard rubber plug.

Shaf77 said:
Shaf77 said:
Why are there two holes in the skimmer and what's that little flapper like thing for between the two?

A searched helped me find this - why-are-there-two-holes-at-the-bottom-of-my-skimmer-t9772.html

Checked my pool and the second one is blanked off.

I like the idea of using it as a aux. back up line. Although I have never seen it done that way (probably unnecessary cost). Anyways if i were to build I pool I would definitely do that.

X-PertPool said:
Shaf77 said:
Shaf77 said:
Why are there two holes in the skimmer and what's that little flapper like thing for between the two?

A searched helped me find this - why-are-there-two-holes-at-the-bottom-of-my-skimmer-t9772.html

Checked my pool and the second one is blanked off.

I like the idea of using it as a aux. back up line. Although I have never seen it done that way (probably unnecessary cost). Anyways if i were to build I pool I would definitely do that.

I did this, simply piped it over to the pad and capped it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.