New to the forum question on closing pool

Oct 31, 2013
Hey

I went to close my pool on my own for the first time last weekend and it went pretty well except for a couple of issues. I was screwing in my plugs into the return inlets and two of the three jets still had air bubbles coming out leading me to believe water would still seep back in once the air pressure was removed. I wrapped the plugs with teflon and I'm not sure if I did it but the two that were leaking were leaking around a the cracked cover plate.

Would replacing the cover plates solve the problem because I don't see there being a big seal behind the cover? I really need to get the pool closed this weekend because it's dropping below freezing. I might just have to lower the water past the two plugs but I hear that's really bad on pool covers. Thanks in advance!

Pulled the cover today. It's definitely what was causing the leak. I think it was cracked before though. I'm surprised it didn't cause any problems last spring when I opened the pool.

Now the question is can I apply water proof silicone or epoxy and seal up the new cover with the pool water higher than the return jet opening or will I need to drain the pool? Quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

headrec said:
Pulled the cover today. It's definitely what was causing the leak. I think it was cracked before though. I'm surprised it didn't cause any problems last spring when I opened the pool.

Now the question is can I apply water proof silicone or epoxy and seal up the new cover with the pool water higher than the return jet opening or will I need to drain the pool? Quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

How far below the water level are your returns?? A little water is cheap compared to a big problem :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.