above ground pool pump sizing

Mar 24, 2013
Hi , I have a 16 x 32 Doughboy pool with a deep end that I put entirely in the ground. The pool came with a 1 hp pump and sand filter set up . The problem I'm having is when I try to clean the pool with the automatic pool cleaner it doesn't seem to prime itself , like the pump isn't strong enough. The pump is on the ground ,so it's pumping up at the most 6 feet of head. I want to put the pump and filter in a shed which would be another foot or so above the lowest point of the pool . I'm considering a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump to help my situation. Just wanting feedback or suggestions.

Thanks Mike

If your current pump is an above ground pool pump they are gravity fed and not self priming. They can kind of self prime a little but the pool cleaner restricts the flow of water so you lose prime. If you replaced the pump with a 1hp pump for an inground pool you shouldn't have that problem. You can go bigger if you like, but the type of pump is likely the root of the problem.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

If the pump fails to prime when you try to vacuum, you probably have an air leak in your vacuum hose. That allows the pump to suck in air. Inspect your hose carefully and you will probably find that air leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.