Help with some closing questions, please

My configuration is:
    In ground Pool.
    1 skimmer
    1 Sand Filter
    1 Heater (gas)
    1 pump.
    2 return lines and 1 main drain line.

I use a gizmo that I put into the skimmer and attach the compresser to the gizmo in order to blow out my lines.

I plug the return jet that is the farther away and leave the other one unplugged.

I have a 6 way valve on my sand filter.

I leave plugs in the cleaner, pump and filter and heater.

I leave the 3 way valve set on full skim because the main drain water will seek the same level as the water in the pool.

At this point I am not undoing any of the unions in any of the fixture plumbing.

Question: Do I drain the water out of the filter and then reinstall the drain plug before I start blowing out the water in the
    lines or do I drain the water out of the Filter, heater, and pump first and then reinstall the plugs before I start blowing
    through the gizmo?

This has always been hard for me to figure out. I did it one way one time and had to put water back into the filter etc.
    I live in NW Georgia and cover my pool with a solid loop lock cover so I do not drain the water down as I was told that it was not necessary if you were using this type cover.
    Tom

Will this method blow all the water out of the
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian. Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS
    Sand filter, Auto chlorinator, Hayward 12 V color light, Loop Loc Cover
    Polaris 380 cleaner, Invented water leveler.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with some closing questions, please

I am bumping your post so those with more experience closing an inground pool will see your question.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help with some closing questions, please

Quote Originally Posted by TGMcCallie
    My configuration is:
    In ground Pool.
    1 skimmer
    1 Sand Filter
    1 Heater (gas)
    1 pump.
    2 return lines and 1 main drain line.

I use a gizmo that I put into the skimmer and attach the compresser to the gizmo in order to blow out my lines.

I plug the return jet that is the farther away and leave the other one unplugged.

I have a 6 way valve on my sand filter.

I leave plugs in the cleaner, pump and filter and heater.

I leave the 3 way valve set on full skim because the main drain water will seek the same level as the water in the pool.

At this point I am not undoing any of the unions in any of the fixture plumbing.

Question: Do I drain the water out of the filter and then reinstall the drain plug before I start blowing out the water in the
    lines or do I drain the water out of the Filter, heater, and pump first and then reinstall the plugs before I start blowing
    through the gizmo?

This has always been hard for me to figure out. I did it one way one time and had to put water back into the filter etc.
    I live in NW Georgia and cover my pool with a solid loop lock cover so I do not drain the water down as I was told that it was not necessary if you were using this type cover.
    Tom

Will this method blow all the water out of the
    I leave the water in my sand filter and blow it out at the same time. I do blow from the pump instead of the skimmer.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover