Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's

1. Back To Top    #1

CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's

Looks like Leslie’s is discontinuing some of the Spanish versions of some Taylor tests.

18574 OTO Deluxe Test Kit (Spanish) - $8.33 ($22.99 for the English version)

18572 OTO Basic Test Kit (Spanish) - $2.83 ($8.49 for the English version)

18575 DPD Deluxe Test Kit (Spanish) - $3.83 ($26.99-English)

18573 DPD Basic Test Kit (Spanish) - $1.83 ($10.49 for the English version)

Here’s the link:
    http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 000:400000

If you are familiar with the test, this is a way to get cheap refills. If not, you can go to Taylor’s website and get the English instructions.

OTO Basic Test Kit
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2448

OTO Deluxe Test Kit
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2452

DPD Basic Test Kit
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2450

DPD Deluxe Test Kit
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2453

Ordered a bunch myself and thought I'd pass it on.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's

The spanish kits must be all gone, at least I could not find them.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

They are still there - click on the English version to see both.
    Currrent pool under construction: DIY Kafko steel/vinyl IG 26kgal 20x40 Kidney, sand filter, Triac spillover spa, Aqua Logic SWG
    Previous pool: IG vinyl 20x40 rectangle. Made all the mistakes - now reformed (mostly)

4. Back To Top    #4

I found them by clicking on the first link, which takes you to the test kits page, then clicking on the test kit you want. The DPD kits seemed like they were a better value.

You also get free shipping, so its a really good deal

Thanks for the heads up.

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks CRG

I ordered 2 kits, for less than $9.00 man thats how much 2 bottles of regents cost

Thanks again
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! Just ordered 2 DPD basic kits with free shipping for $3.66!

great find!

Sue

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you CRG,

I just ordered a DPD Deluxe Test Kit. I needed new reagents. Thank you for passing on this find. posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=7133&sid=97a62f00d76a0987e2757 4b01b8e50d4#
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Your Welcome to everyone. Just trying to give back; when i saw how cheap it was, just couldn't pass up spreading the word.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

9. Back To Top    #9

Found them this time!!!

Thanks, got one

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, should be all set for years to come!
    Swimmin' Sharon

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

There should be a caveat added to this thread.

Those are great prices but those are not great kits. None of them will test Chlorine above 5ppm and none of them will test for CYA. None of them will test for Calcium. Similar kits are available at any Wal-mart for around 6-7 bucks (in English)

These kits give you a rudimentary picture of your water but will be virtually meaningless if you have water quality issues.

The Taylor K-2006, Leslies FAS/DPD Test kit and the TF-100 (that I sell) are all markedly superior and you will need one of them to maintain proper water balance of ALL your parameters.

Obviously, I have a dog in the fight but it would be very misleading for a newbie with a green pool to spend $3.00 for a test kit and find out he might as well throw it away as soon as he's asked to post a complete set of test results......something all of these kits are incapable of.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    There should be a caveat added to this thread.
    A second caveat...if you are simply buying the kits for refill reagents realize that the Spanish kits are most likely a very slow selling item and they might very well be old stock they are trying to clear out. There is really no way of knowing how long those kits might have been sitting in a warehouse and under what conditions they were stored in.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, I know all that. This cheap kit is just for testing the chlorine every day to double check that I put in the right amount of bleach.
    For everything else I use my "Good Taylor Kit"
    For water problems I would ask here first, with numbers from the Taylor kit.
    But since using the BBB methode, I have not had ANY water problems. I test TC & FC every day, PH once a week & CYA once a month.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

My post was not intended for folks who have been here a while and have an understanding of the principles taught on the forum.

My post was intended for the newbies with green pools. Reading this thread, they could easily assume these kits will be the ones people are talking about when they are advised, "First thing, you need to get is a good test kit."

These are not the kits.

Again, since I have an agenda, someone else should've brought it up but it nevertheless needed to be said.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine arrived already.
    Got them for daily tests only, FC and pH as I seem to be going through those the fastest.

CYA reagents go quickly also, btw. Since I've just converted and started at 0, I think I'll be needing more of that soon....

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My post was not intended for folks who have been here a while and have an understanding of the principles taught on the forum.

My post was intended for the newbies with green pools. Reading this thread, they could easily assume these kits will be the ones people are talking about when they are advised, "First thing, you need to get is a good test kit."

These are not the kits.

Again, since I have an agenda, someone else should've brought it up but it nevertheless needed to be said.
    I would have brought it up but my blood was already boiling. I thought illegal immigrants were getting a price break on their test kits.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

17. Back To Top    #17

I just got mine too...I picked up the DPD basic kit for daily testing. What's funny is that they have a distribution center about 3 miles from my house, but they still needed to FEDEX it
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

18. Back To Top    #18

I received my cheap Spanish DPD kit today - and my first test for Cl was quite inconsistent with my other test kits. Makes me wonder about the age of the reagents. Ph was fine - haven't tried the alkalinity test yet. I will do a more thorough test when I have time, but meanwhile, as others of you use these test kits, let us know what you find out.

Good news: I last took Spanish in HS 36 years ago, and I had no problem understanding the instructions . . .

Coty
    22,000 gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 hp pump, 300lb sand filter (switched from DE), converted from baquacil (thanks to Ben), BBB since 2004

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: CHEAP Taylor tests - Leslie's - UNRELIABLE

As a follow-up to my last post in this thread:

This morning I compared results of the new, cheap DPD test kit that arrived this week from Leslie's with my quick OTO kit (new reagents this summer) and the FAS/DPD test (from Ben's 233 test kit, with new powder this summer). I used the same water for all the tests. First I did the new DPD: Free Cl = about 1, 0 combined Cl. OTO: Total Cl about 5. FAS/DPD Free Cl 5.5, 0 Combined.

Conclusion: The free Cl test in these DPD kits is worthless.

Other tests worked fine: TA = 120 with new kit, 110 with old; Ph = 7.5 with both.

So if you ordered one of these kits: At least be quite skeptical of the Cl results until you verify them from another source.

BTW, I ordered 2 of the cheap kits, and they, unfortunately, are consistent with each other.

Guess I could get my money back if I wanted to, but it was only $3.66 for the two kits, and the alkalinity and Ph reagents are worth the money.

Coty
    22,000 gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 hp pump, 300lb sand filter (switched from DE), converted from baquacil (thanks to Ben), BBB since 2004

20. Back To Top    #20

Got my kit, too.

Have to agree on the CL test. The reagent is pink, the result goes into into purple & is worthless for testing.

I ordered the reagent refill from saveonpoolsupplies.com

The rest of the tests are OK.
    So I'm dumping the #2 reagent and replacing it with the new stuff, and giving the kit to a friend of mine. They are pretty clueless about water balancing, and are dumping wal-mart shock packs every time there is a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast