Liner install gone wrong?

Jun 24, 2013
My pool "professional" installed my pool liner this past year, complete with plenty of wrinkles, and otherwise oddities. He promised to fix the wrinkles at the end of the swim season, but has since abandoned me, leaving me to fend for myself.

So, I'd like to go over some of the issues I have, and wonder if these are serious problems, or am I just being too picky

• - The seams of the liner don't fit nicely into the corners of my pool. For example, in the shallow end, I see the liner seam about 2-3 inches away from the corner, on the floor of the pool
  • - The corners seem off, that is when I look straight down in the corner, it appears the actual corner of the liner isn't in pool corner, it's skewed by a few inches. It appears the liner is crooked in the whole pool
  • - At all the corners of the pool (I have rounded corners), the liner doesn't fit back against the corner of the pool, I can feel there is a gap of air between the hard wall and the liner.
  • - Wrinkles, most are around the stairs, where the liner fits over the stairs

If these issues are normal or otherwise acceptable, and I can still expect a long life out of my liner I'd be ok, but if any of these can cause liner failure a few years down the road, I'd like to know so I can plan my next actions.

Thanks for any advice!

Wrinkles are not normal. I would say it generally reduces the lifespan of the liner since wrinkles on the floor become a wear spot and also wrinkles would indicate that there is too much material in one spot and not enough in another which means there are areas of the pool where the liner is stretching too tight.

Adding to what xpertpool posted, I would not be happy with the liner not touching in the corners. It sounds like the liner has incorrect curvature and will CLEARLY be a weak spot should something sharp or heavy gets shoved up against the liner in that area.

I can't imagine a possible fix for that, unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice, I remember when the "pro" came out to measure, and I never once saw him measure the corners/curvature. He also mentioned during the install that the helpful "corner" stickers on the liners are just a suggestion, they don't have to line up exactly to the corner. I have one corner where the liner does seem to fit in the corner, and there is still the pocket of air behind the liner in the corner.

You need to get a couple of other pool builders out there to tell you what the problem is how to fix it and how much it will cost.

Once you have their evaluations and written estimates then go talk to the installer again.

There are about four types of corners for a liner pool. Those being square corners, 6" radius, 2' radius, and 4' radius. If you have square corners my experience is that even with custom fitted liners they won't sit into the corner exact. Your installer commenting on arrows is correct they aren't exact just a reference to measurements that the liner was made by. We have been told those arrows are +/- 3". Unfortunately the installer is the determining factor of wrinkles, how concientious they are of the job they are doing is the sticking point.

If you have square corners my experience is that even with custom fitted liners they won't sit into the corner exact.
I completely agree.....just impossible to get them perfect.

Your radius corners should do better and I suspect they got the incorrect radius and that's why it is off the walls in the corners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.