Replacing a Polaris 360

h2o

Jun 30, 2008
Houston, TX
It's time. My 360 is almost 6 years old and is on it's last leg...er, wheel. I was never really impressed with the 360 and I have heard some good things about the Legend II. However, I have a few questions about the proper setup of these non-booster pump cleaners.

First, a little insight...when I bought this house almost 6 years ago, the cleaner didn't work. As part of the conatract, I stipulated that the cleaner needed to be replaced. I didn't know jack about pools then. The previous owner replaced the cleaner as requested. Well, after some time getting to know my pool, I realized that the reason there was no working cleaner was because the booster pump was shot. Rather than replace the booster and the cleaner, he bought a 360 that didn't require a booster pump and just plugged it into one of the returns.

Now, to my question. First, do these non-booster cleaners require a dedicated return or do they function just as well on any return? I have heard both ways, but if they require a dedicated return, that might explain why I have never really been pleased with the performance of my 360. Second, do you feel one is better than the other (360 vs. Legend II)?

h2o said:
Now, to my question. First, do these non-booster cleaners require a dedicated return or do they function just as well on any return?
I have a dedicated cleaner return line for my Polaris 360 and it works fine. This is the recommended setup. However, you can run a Polaris 360 on any return line but you may have to install eyeball fittings with smaller openings on the other return lines to help ensure the Polaris 360 gets enough pressure.

I have never used the Legend II so I cannot compare it to the Polaris 360. Someone else will have to weigh in on that.

BoDarville said:
you may have to install eyeball fittings with smaller openings on the other return lines to help ensure the Polaris 360 gets enough pressure.
This is exactly what I had to do. I have 6 returns and I had to plug two of them completely and put eyeball fitting in the others.

Theoretically, could I not use bypass the non-funtional booster pump and use the old dedicated return line to power the 360, or would it get too much pressure this way? If I remember correctly, this is a 3/4" return line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.