Efficient pump for use with A&A in-floor system, EcoPump?

Sep 16, 2013
I have a 50K gal pool (including spa). The Hayward Super 2 pump motor has died. It is a single speed 2 THP. I know I can replace the motor for a low cost, but I am wondering if I should replace the whole pump to save on energy costs. I have heard some comments regarding in-floor cleaning systems not working with lower/variable speeds. If that is the case, perhaps my best option is to just keep a single speed motor. What about an EcoPump EP-8? Anyone with experience with these pumps? Perhaps it would be more compatible with the in-floor system. Any other thoughts?

Re: Efficient pump for use with A&A in-floor system, EcoPump

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Kind of hard to say what you should look for. It is true that a smaller pump or a VS pump running too low a flow rate may result in the pop-up system not working correctly, but knowing the minimum is a bit of guess work.

You could certainly get a VS pump (I do not know about the EcoPumps) which would allow you to dial in the lowest speed that seems to operate the floor system well, BUT if that RPM is not very low, you may never save enough on electricity to justify the cost delta above just replacing with a like motor.

While I can't give you a hard answer either, I do have a 1.85 THP motor and it will not power the cleaning system on low. I have a timer that controls speed as well as on/off, so I can just run it on high for as long as it needs to keep the pool clean, then run it on low after that. I think that's the best solution. A VS pump would work as well, and some of the less expensive ones are not much more than a 2-speed pump plus a new timer.

I appreciate your advice. I'm going to go ahead and just replace the single speed motor on my Hayward Super 2. It seems a high efficiency pump isn't such a huge benefit with an in-floor cleaning system. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.