Air Switch/Valve controller not working

Sep 12, 2013
Total Newbie Here (pool owner for 2 months).

The set up: A spa with an overflow waterfall into the main pool. There are 2 Jandy Valve Actuators (24VAC) that are controlled by an "air switch."

We recently had a heater installed and for about 3 weeks everything was working normally. When the air switch was depressed, the valves would divert the flow from the pool to the hot tub jets and the heater would kick on. Now, nothing happens.

The valve controller is probably at least 10 years old, and I was trying to troubleshoot it myself and avoid paying for repairs/electrician. The input is 240V to a 24V magnetic contactor and then to a 14 pin socket relay. The wires for the valve actuators are attached to the socket relay. Everything is wired according to the schematic (attached), but when the air switch is depressed, the only thing that seems to happen is that the magnetic contactor is activated.

Is this a salvageable situation or should I just break down and spend $200+ on a new valve controller?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Attachments

• Pool Control Schematic.jpg
    Pool Control Schematic.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 24
Since the air switch supplies power to the coils of both the contactor and the relay they should both actuate at the same time. Is that happening?

If not, make sure power is getting to the coil of the relay.

Problem Solved!

My father-in-law pointed out that pin 4 of the 14-pin connector had to be grounded (for some reason it wasn't, and worked initially).

Once I grounded it, things work as they are supposed to.

Thanks everyone, I am sure I will be seeking your help in the future. And maybe I will learn enough to help someone else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.