solar caver and algae

bri

Sep 11, 2013
I've had a few algae blooms when using a solar cover even though the chlorine levels were at 7.5 to 8.5 ppm (CYA at 65, temps 80 degree). . now that the cover is off all the time no algae even though the chlorine is 4.5 to 5.5 (cya 50, temp 68 ish). Could the cover cause algae and what can I do about it?

bri said:
I've had a few algae blooms when using a solar cover even though the chlorine levels were at 7.5 to 8.5 ppm (CYA at 65, temps 80 degree). . now that the cover is off all the time no algae even though the chlorine is 4.5 to 5.5 (cya 50, temp 68 ish). Could the cover cause algae and what can I do about it?
The cover won't cause algae. If your FC level is correct for your CYA level the cover shouldn't have anything to do with it. You could clean the cover with a bleach solution if you want but the side of the cover in contact with the water is already exposed to chlorine.

I have seen algae in puddles on top of the cover when it's rainy and I let the water lay too long. I just raise the FC level if I can't get that water off the cover without getting it into the pool. My experience this year now that I'm a BBB follower is no algae blooms with the cover on all the time. In the past, the cover seemed to cause algae but the real reason was that I wasn't controlling my FC level well enough for the high CYA level I had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.