Help With algae

veager

May 19, 2013
Hi, This is my 3rd year with this pool and been fighting algae for a few weeks. I have a 21 ft round AGP, with a haywood 1.5 hp pump and Swimpro cartridge filter.

I shock the pool with liquid chlorine and it clears up, but then I get what looks like dirt or dead algae on the bootom. I am contantly cleaning the filter and it is coated with green stuff everytime.

My readings with my Taylor test kit, are.

FC 24
CC 0
CYA 55
TA 100
CH 75
PH 7.4

I don't know if my cartridge filter is bad and dumping stuff back in, or I have mustard algae.

I vacuumed yesterday and now I got cloudy, greenish tinted water.

I never had a problem like this before and would like to know wht to do.

Thanks

Welcome! :wave:

The problem is likely here: "I shock the pool with liquid chlorine and it clears up, but then I get what looks like dirt or dead algae on the bottom." You're probably using the pool store definition of shocking, which is a one-time megadose of chlorine. There's a couple problems with this approach. One, chlorine loss due to sunlight is a percentage, not a fixed parts per million, so overdosing it just means you lose more to the sun. Two, you might bleach your liner. Three: it takes several days to kill ALL the algae.

It's sort of like treating an infection. You don't take all the antibiotics in one bug gulp and expect it to clear up overnight. It takes regular dosing for many days to be completely rid of it. The doctor will have you taking the pills many days after you feel better.

The solution is to SLAM it. In brief, it's doing what you've been doing for a sustained period of time and brushing until your shoulders and lower back are sore. The good news is, once you get a complete kill on the algae, you may never have to go through this again. Many of us here have gone years and years without ever having algae

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.