Salt level 3200 ppm, still low?

hpdad

Apr 4, 2013
South California
Last few days, SWCG didn't make enough clhorine, I had to add chlorine every day. Didn't know why. Never crossed the thought of low salt level. Until yesterday, the SWCG appeared the code 91 (low salt level). Aha, dumb me. This afternoon, I added about 15 lb of salt. Let the sand filter ran itself about for 4 hr. Started the SWCG, the same code still there. Measure the salt level is at 3200 ppm. What is going on here?

What does your system require? Mine requires 3500ppm.

But, here's the thing. I can test with my SWG, AquaChek strips, and my silver nitrate drop test and get three different results. How are you testing?

I have found the silver nitrate test to be the most consistent, so that's now the only test I use.

Bama Rambler said:
Have you cleaned the cell?
how old is the cell?

I never cleaned the cell before. It was 4 months old.

RobbieH said:
What does your system require? Mine requires 3500ppm.

But, here's the thing. I can test with my SWG, AquaChek strips, and my silver nitrate drop test and get three different results. How are you testing?

I have found the silver nitrate test to be the most consistent, so that's now the only test I use.

Mine requires 2500 - 3500. The optimal level is 3000. I used Taylor kit K1776

I find that my K1776 seems to read 4-500ppm higher that my new SWG . Not sure why, but when I first installed the SWG I was testing 3200 but the SWG was not running well reading around 2700 and was driving myself nuts trying to figure which was right and whether my SWG was defective. After checking another member's pool and finding the same thing (the test read higher than their SWG and strips), I decided it was the test that was skewed and just added more salt to make the SWG happy ... after all the important thing is to make the SWG happy.

I will point out though, that you should inspect the cell for scaling which could result in a low reading being that it is now 4 months old. Could be that simple, or you just need to add some salt.

RobbieH said:
I bring it up because my SWG was way out of calibration. CompuPool sent over calibration instructions and after that it agreed with my test strips and drop test.

I find it interesting that CompuPool has the capability to to calibrate the SWG while Hayward does not. Although seems like Hayward is kind of floundering and not really innovating as fast as other manufacturers. Like that Pentair automation has a lot more capabilities than the Hayward line ... such easy phone/internet integration and I am pretty sure my setup has no way to run the solar in "cooling" mode automatically.

The long version of calibrating the CompuPool is not for the faint of heart. It involves using an clamp meter and measuring current across a set of wires internal to the controller. You then adjust the controller to match a standard based on which model you have. There's a shorter version that's more of a guestimate, but using that method you aren't really guaranteed it is correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.