Time to slay the dragon

danacc said:
Looks like you need to add CYA. When did you last put some in?

I added 8# of ClearView stabilizer on Sunday which, according to the pool calculator, should have brought the CYA level up to 23 (started at 0). However, I have vacuumed to waste three times since then, and refilled approximately 9000 gallons of water. I plan on vacuuming again on Monday then that will be it for several days as my vacation is coming to an end. So I was thinking Monday afternoon after I refill again to add some more to get it closer to the 20- 25 range. I've read enough about CYA in the last week that I would rather bring it up slowly. The pool is only in full sunlight about 7-8 hours a day this time of year and the FC seems to hold relatively steady without the sun on it (except for those days I have vacuumed, then it gets busy)

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

I think it's going to take a few (several?) days to filter the water with our undersized filter. The dead bugs and the neighbor's pine needles aren't helping. :eek:
On a more positive note, while I was brushing the pool this afternoon, as I was pulled the brush back I noticed a definite lack of a trailing green cloud of algae.
One more vac tomorrow (Monday), bump up the CYA a bit after refilling the pool, and teach my husband how to test the chlorine. Vacation is about over and I'll be out of town a couple of days.

Got back from work this evening with still enough time to brush the pool and do a full test.
FC 8 (added 3 qt + 1 cup 10%)
CC 1.5
TC 9.5
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 180
CYA 25

The pool is still cloudy. My husband had to be out of town yesterday also so I think we lost a little ground, but it was also hot the last couple of days so who knows. There wasn't enough good daylight left to judge the overall clarity.

We've been vacuuming to waste, but I'm fairly confdent (even thought I can't see the bottom of the pool :hammer: ) we have removed the big stuff. Should we switch to vacuum to filter and see if that helps move things along?

Compared to where we started with CC in the 2-3 range, we haven't been over 1.5 since Sunday, so I take that as a sign of progress.

But it would be nice to at least see the bottom of the shallow end before Halloween. :rant:

So I got to thinking (scary I know)

My CYA is really at 25, compared to nothing last week. Back to Pool School and a glance at the Chlorine/CYA chart.

If CYA is 20, then I should be shocking at 10, which is what we have been doing.

Sometime in the last 48 hours or so, the CYA has finally registered at about 25, and may still be climbing towards 30.

New shock target should be 12.

That might help. Duh! :hammer:

It can take up to a week for a CYA to register correctly. So if you added an amount to get it to a certain level, assume it is at that level because it can take a while for it to show on the test after added.

KenGood said:
It can take up to a week for a CYA to register correctly. So if you added an amount to get it to a certain level, assume it is at that level because it can take a while for it to show on the test after added.

Thanks Ken. I added enough to get into the 25-30 range, so I have adjusted my SLAM level up to 12. The FC has been holding pretty steady at 13 all day. It has clouded up and probably will have clouds/showers all day Saturday so am hoping that the higher FC level (and cooler temps) will help move things along this weekend.

Another interesting thing that occurred this week is one of our filters is now stained brown. I searched through the forums here and think it is from iron. Upon reflection, on Monday we had left the vacuum in the bottom of the pool to circulate water from the bottom (no main drain). We suspect that is where the iron came from. The pool only has one skimmer and return, which we have not been using because we know the system leaks (2" lose/day avg.). So, being somewhat crafty people, we built a return system that sits on the pool deck until we get a new system done properly. To keep water moving while we figured this all out, we were using an all plastic submersible sump pump to keep the water moving. It eventually died, and the only thing we could find on short order was a different style of sump pump with a metal base. It was not designed to be fully submersible, so we had rested it on the bottom step of the ladder. You guessed it, the ladder step now has a rust stain on, and the base of the pump was rusted as well. I will test that theory tomorrow with a vitamin c tablet on the stained filter. If that is the issue, I see an AA treatment will probably be needed this winter.

Love this place! Learn something new every day! :)

Just a quick update for the weekend...CC has dropped to the 0.5 - 1.0 range for the last two days. And water clarity has improved to 1.5 feet. So, in spite of my earlier rant, I think I will be able to see the bottom of the shallow end by the end of September. :)

Test results this morning
FC 10
CC 0.5
TC 10.5
pH 7.8
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 45

Unfortunately while I was out of town my husband let the FC drop to about 6. Since I got home last night we have been working on getting it back up to the 12 range. But then I did a full test this morning and the CYA is up to 45. Not sure if I just overshot my target or because of evaporation. Regardless, we are adding some more water now.
Also, I realize that the shock level will now be higher and have added more bleach to bump it up.
Although the pool is still cloudy, it actually has a blue tint to it now. And when the dog went for a swim this morning I could actually see her feet. Now if I could just find my husband's glasses. They are in the pool somewhere, the unfortunate result of the dog knocking my husband into the pool earlier this week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I was at work this week my husband did not do any testing but added a gallon a day off bleach, because that is about average for what we have been using recently. Between the north wind blowing, and the "new" bleach we bought last weekend, the FC dropped a bit today compared to where I would like it be, but not as bad as last week.

Test results at 10:00 this morning.

FC 9.5 (added 3 gal. of the wimpy bleach)
CC 0.5
TC 10
pH 8.0
TA 100
CH 220
CYA 45

Checked FC again at noon with a 5 ml sample and it was at my goal of 16. With the north wind blowing again today, I added another 2 qts of bleach to get through the afternoon.

Also found a dead backswimmer floating in the pool. Based on various posts in the forum, I take that as a good sign. I've been trying to get him for a month! :lol:

Pool clarity has improved to almost two feet. The winds are supposed to die down tomorrow sometime, so I plan on vacuuming to filter on Sunday. Will also buy some fresher bleach from the grocery store.

Experts, please chime in if I'm wrong with the next statement;

You stated your CYA was 45. According to the CYA/Chlorine chart you need to be dosing at 18. I would make sure you DO NOT let your chlorine get below that while doing the SLAM. Dose your pool a little higher to insure that it NEVER gets below 18. If it were me, I would shoot for 22 to give yourself a little wiggle room. If you keep letting get low as you have been, it will just take longer to clear this up, and will cost more money in buying bleach.

In response to both linen and dmsattelberg

A. I am out of town for business 3-4 days/wk. So my husband has to deal with the pool while I am gone. He does the best he can, but has some physical disability so some days are not so good. At the very least he added a gallon of 10% bleach each day I was gone.
B. At least the jug says 10%…we bought a different brand last week. Based on test results, it is acting more like 8.25%, and I have upped the dosage.
C. I looked at the CYA chart again. If 40 = 16 FC, then 45 … would be :mad: more! Grrrr. But the FC was at 18 at dusk. Must have been distracted by the contractor working at the house last week end.
D. The wind died down this afternoon, so I decided to vacuum. I can now see the outline of the vacuum head on the floor of the shallow end (approx. 3 ft.) Very few leaves considering the wind, one dead grasshopper, a couple of beetle looking things, and some sand. Found the pvc piece I almost had last week. Still looking for husband's glasses.
E. Ordered a Poolskim this week. Can't keep up with the bugs floating around the pool. Although I did take great satisfaction in flipping the dead backswimmer out of the pool this morning :evil:
F. Time spent working on pool this fall has generated some outstanding thoughts :idea: on New pool plumbing, equipment, and landscaping.

Aha! Found the source of confusion regarding the shock level with a CYA of 45. It was The Pool Calculator! With CYA set to 45, it says the shock level is 16. If CYA is 60, then it say 18, and at 70 it finally says 20.
I may be a noob, but I hate making simple mistakes!

Tiba80,

You are on the right track. You are so much better off than you were a few weeks ago. Just remember that life happens, and at times you wont be able to baby the pool as much as called for. It may take a little longer than it would if you were testing it 4 or more times a day, but like I said, life has to happen around you. in the end, you will end up with a simple, trouble free pool.

The biggest thing that I took away from my conversion from pucks to bleach is to become intimate with the CYA/Chlorine chart. It will solve 90% of all the problems in a sick pool.

Once it is cleared, and passes an OCLT, it is a simple daily maintenance of Testing pH and Cl daily, testing Alk weekly, and testing CYA and CH when there have been swings in water addition/subtraction. This testing and Chlorine addition will take only minutes a day.

I am not sure where you are buying your bleach, just buy it a place with large turnover(walmart, target, busy pool store) because it can lose some strength if it sits around too long. Some pool store or local chemical companies will sell you 12.5% liquid chlorine in bulk, that is very fresh, and will use reusable "carboys" that make refilling easy.

Come here often and ask questions...everyone here is eager to help, and will steer you right. best of luck

Time for our weekly update...Sunday at 5:30 pm. We vacuumed to waste earlier today. Knowing I stirred up the pool and needed to add water I added a gallon of 10% bleach. Forgot to factor in the reduction in CYA that would come with fresh water so I didn't need to take it to 22.
FC 22
CC 0.5
TC 22.5
pH 8
TA 90
CH 180
CYA 35

The leaves are falling now but not really a lot picked up with the vacuum. Lots of gray water that I assume to be dead algae.

Question of the week: with the temperature dropping into the 40's at night, I have started to measure water temperature. When I took the test above the water temp was only 62. The pool is in the shadows of the house more and more as the sun drops lower in the sky. My husband thinks that the water temp is well below 60 at night so there is now less need to circulate the water 24 hrs/day and wants to set the pump timer for daylight hours. It's not like we plan on swimming again this year but I'm more concerned about losing ground with the increase in leaves getting into the pool.

Just looking for ideas...

If the waters not clear, you still need to run the pump 24/7. If you give up on the slam process now you will lose some ground next spring. Keep adding bleach to keep your FC level up until everything is toast. You'll need to also make sure you scoop any leaves out of the water whenever you can.

Haven't posted for a couple of weeks, figured it wasn't productive when things are just plodding along. But, there is good news to report. We ordered the poolskim a couple weeks ago. As you may recall, due to a known plumbing leak, we abandoned the pool system and built our own to get through the summer. So, we have been playing with the adjustment of the poolskim, and finally got it working. What a joy it is to see all of those Dang bugs sucked into the bag, instead of manually trying to net them out!!:lol: I can now see the bottom of the shallow end!

Our only problem now is something is pollinating, because I can see the yellow dust everywhere, and our chlorine use seems to reflect that.
Readings at 3pm
FC 9 (added 1 gal 10% bleach)
CC 0.5
TC 9.5
pH 7.6
TA 100
CH 160
CYA 25

The CC has been at 0.5 consistently for the last few weeks. The FC has been the issue, between all of the dead bugs and leaves. I actually cut down a tree near the fence as it started to lose its leaves last week. Haven't figured out the source of the pollen yet, but if it's on my property, it might have to go away too. :D

I'm pretty well convinced on new plumbing AND equipment by next spring. This little cartridge filter just ain't cutting it.

We had a three day long wind storm a couple weeks ago that dumped a ton of sand into the pool. Very irritating, because our clarity had improved to six feet. So before leaving for Thanksgiving, we vacuumed the pool as best we could, dropped a couple of floaties in the pool with trichlor pucks (not worried about CYA) and added a healthy dose of clarifier. We got home late last night so I checked the pool this morning.

Crystal clear all the way to the bottom of the deep end! :D I can even see my husband's glasses!

Still have to vacuum the pool again, but now I won't be doing it in the blind.:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.