Chlorine Levels question

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
I have a 4 mth season (May 15 to Sep 15) and this year's water quality has been great due to the TFP advice. (thanks again)
I usually use chlorox, but also keep cal-hypo powder around and tri-chlor pucks that I use occasionally.
in the beginning of the season if CYA is low I will use the pucks but will stop using once CYA levels get above 40-50.

over a week ago I notice a slight trace of combined chlorine (less than .5) so shocked for the first time since opening, with 2 gallons of chlorox and couple pounds of cal-hypo....I also put the pucks back in my floater since CYA was still around 40.

with only the floater supplying chlorine my chlorine level has been between 4 and 6 for 8 days.

this seems unusual to me to not have to add chlorox for this many days,,wondering if its expected behavior since my CYA levels are good?
also, anything wrong with using 3 types of chlorine in anyone's opinion? (I know not to combine them in a container)

weather has been 50% cloudy, around 80 degree highs.

jp4120 said:
over a week ago I notice a slight trace of combined chlorine (less than .5) so shocked for the first time since opening
If if the CC cleared with one drop when using the FAS-DPD test, then don't worry about it. You were using the FAS-DPD chlorine test(not to be confused by the DPD chlorine test)?

jp4120 said:
shocked for the first time since opening
On tfp, SLAMing (formerly known on here as shocking) a pool is a process that is done when needed and not a one time event. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

jp4120 said:
with only the floater supplying chlorine my chlorine level has been between 4 and 6 for 8 days.

this seems unusual to me to not have to add chlorox for this many days,,wondering if its expected behavior since my CYA levels are good?
How many tabs have you used? What size are the tabs?

jp4120 said:
anything wrong with using 3 types of chlorine in anyone's opinion? (I know not to combine them in a container)
Using too much cal-hypo can eventually lead to scaling. As you know, using too much trichlor can lead to high cya levels. It also lowers the ph and TA since it is acidic. Dichlor powder/granuales also add cya. Bleach/liquid chlorine is best since all it adds is a small amount of salt which is a non-issue.

Post a full set of test results and we can give you some suggestions. FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya

Everything you are doing is fine. There is nothing wrong with separately adding different types of chlorine to the pool.

Your FC consumption sounds pretty normal to me.

You didn't ask, but .5 ppm CC is not enough to warrant shocking the pool. No harm done, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.