High addon fee for fence after construction

Sep 2, 2008
First world problems here:

Part of our construction included additional fencing to enclose the equipment. The new fence would extend 10 ft and include a new gate. It's included on our contract and diagrams.

Later, I asked the PB to extend the fence 16' instead of 10'. When I asked for the price he said not to worry about the extra. A day or two later I realized I should probably get that in writing and I sent him and the secretary an e-mail reminding them of the request. The response was "we've got it covered". Wanting additional confirmation, I asked for clarification from the secretary who replied "not to worry, Paul meant it literally, we have it covered. Have a nice weekend'.

During installation I realized in a best-case situation that even more fencing would be perfect because I could also use the area to stash garbage cans. At the end of the day, the total area extends 23 ft. They were just going to bill me for the overage.

Yesterday I got a bill for everything... all 23 ft plus the gate. $657.

So I did the math, sent over a copy of the emails and asked them to revisit it. In my eyes, I needed to pay for 7 ft at $22.50 / ft. I asked them to revise the quote but she replied that she *meant* that they had the "material" covered for the order. Not that it was free.

Ugh ... shoud I be a stickler or just let it go. The difference for that extra bit only $135 but the implication and conversation clearly gave me the impression it was included.

Not sure you have a leg to stand on since you did not get it in writing in the first place.

But, if the price is supposed to be $22.50/ft and you added 13 feet over the original 10 feet, I am not sure how they came up with over $600.

Be nice and discuss it with them and see what happens.

Its on an invoice the fence contractor later provided the PB. I'm not sure where they came up with that figure though.

I guess I feel a little taken advantage of that they didn't provide me a fee before providing that service but I do realize there's a responsibility to pay for anything above the contract. Just made me feel a little taken advantage of to have gone back and forth about "we've got it covered" meaning that they were going to pick up the extra only to find a high bill after-the-fact.

Yup - I shoulda known better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.