Jus flocked worked great but now what?

Aug 25, 2013
I jus flocked the pool vacuumed it three times it looks great not cloudy and some floating who knows here and there... But what do I do now? Do I turn my filter on and run as usual? Do I add any chemicals? Put my chlorine floater back in and turn on filter. I'm a new pool owner this is my first year and somehow our filter got switched to a different setting and we got algae real bad but we used flocked and it worked great! But idk what to do now... Thanks in advance for replies!

As a new pool owner you should spend time reading pool school. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

Yes you will need to turn the filter on to filter out the larger particles the flocculant created by doing its job.

If you had/have algae, flocculant doesn't solve that problem...only chlorine will kill/clear the algae. Without a proper test kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test you can't be certain the algae is completely gone.

As far as what chemicals to add or what to do....its hard to say without posted test readings and how you got them. Posting your pool size/equipment in your signature in the user control panel will help.

Don't forget to read pool school articles.

Welcome to TFP!

You need to understand that algae is a chemistry issue, not a filtering issue as scott.MI said. Floc is kind of a band-aid that can cover up water problems, but it won't last until you address the underlying cause. Check out Defeating Algae for a good description of what needs to be done to clear algae.

Ok so when I woke up I back washed it was needed my pressure was up to 20 and then I tested my water and my fc level is still low but I put more than what it calls for in my floater... Is there a better way... Should I be using liquid chlorine. I see absolutely no algae jus a couple of those fast little water bugs. I don't want the algae to return but I'm assuming it will if I don't get my chlorine level right....

Liquid chlorine will do a better job than stabilized solid chlorine. The solid puck versions of chlorine add CYA to the pool that collects in the pool and makes the chlorine less effective. I would venture to say, if you have water bugs, you have algae, even if its not collecting on the walls yet to where you can see it.

Do you have a high quality test kit? Or testing results?

Ok so when I woke up I back washed it was needed my pressure was up to 20 and then I tested my water and my fc level is still low but I put more than what it calls for in my floater... Is there a better way... Should I be using liquid chlorine. I see absolutely no algae jus a couple of those fast little water bugs. I don't want the algae to return but I'm assuming it will if I don't get my chlorine level right....

Yes it will. Chlolrine is essential to keeping a pool clean, and safe to swim in. If you ask most anyone here bleach is the preferred product for Chlorinating pools.

Check out Pool School for sure, and get a good test kit as suggested. The ABC's are a good place to start. See the links in my Sig line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.