Filling Pool, Help me do this right :)

May 15, 2013
Central Texas
Had some pool repairs done over the summer. I was actually out of state for a bit an it was done while I was away. This pool is located where I work, so while it's not 'mine'...if I want a pretty clean pool it is pretty much on my shoulders.

It is a fiberglass pool that has never really been kept up and the lining started to release fibers. Make for extremely itchy swimmers. Just had the pool resurfaced and started filling it Tuesday.

Completed the fill this morning (could only fill while someone was here 8-5).

I want to use the BBB method, so here I am :whoot:

I added a bit of bleach while filling, not much just a cup ever so often. Since I knew it would take a couple of days to fill I wanted to keep some kind of headway on any ickies starting in the water.

Here is where I am at now:

.5 FL
1 CC
.5 TC
7.8 PH
280 TA
250 CH
Absolutely no stabilizer has been added, so CYA is a big fat Zero

No salt has been added yet.

Haven't spent much time reading the forum (more homework to do for sure!), but I know I needed to get the PH down. According to the pool calculator, I added 100 oz of muriatic acid.

I have bleach and borax on hand, on my way out for lunch to pick up some stabilizer.

Oh wise, what shall my next step be? I want to make sure I get started on the right foot!!! Thanks so much in advance :wave:

Use bleach to raise your FC and don't let it fall below 3 or 4 until you get cya in there. If it's full, go ahead and add cya to 40. Add salt and let dissolve circulate and top off your cya level per your SWG requirtements 24 hours before using your SWG. Borax is optional. Fix your Ph first. Welcome!

Thanks! I picked up the 4# bottle of stabilizer at Walmart, only to get back to the office and realize 4#'s isn't enough. Should have double checked the pool calculator before going shopping! Added that 4#'s to the pool and will be going to get the kids shortly to give the whole thing a good churning (I have 4 kids and an eager hubby to get in the pool husband). With luck the salt will be here when I get back and I'll get that added so they can stir it up too.

Hopefully by the end of the evening the alkalinity will have dropped to a nice level and the ph be just about right. Well, I can hope at least, lol.

Is it ok to add in bleach while the cya is still dissolving? Or should I wait until we are done in the pool this evening?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.