newbie hottub?

Yes, you can just add bleach after your soak and it will create more bromine from the sodium bromide you add when you last replaced your water.

If your feeder by the filter does not have some sort of flow control to adjust for the amount of bromine that is added, then yes, a floating dispenser for bromine tabs would be helpful since they do have such controls. HOWEVER, I thought you determined earlier in this thread that you had an ozonator. With an ozonator, ozone will create bromine from bromide so there may be no need for use of bromine tabs at all. You would just add some more sodium bromide now and then since ozone does convert some of the bromine to bromate so over time the bromide bank does get depleted.

ok so last night I added 6 crushed bromine tabs. My reading today was 12. Will that go down? So i assume i have built the bromine bank. Now you say that i do NOT need to add bromine tabs with a ozonator? I just shock after a soak?? How will I know when I need to add bromine?? I still smell a somewhat strong chlorine odor .Will that go away once my bromine goes down a bit?? I have read over the post 3 times on using bromine in a spa and its still very confusing to me!! GOSH!!! I cant wait untill this finally clicks. Should my TA still be at 50??

You normally build up the bromide bank by adding sodium bromide per instructions (0.5 ounces of sodium bromide per 100 gallons) which will get you to around 30 ppm bromide (equivalent to coming from 60 ppm bromine). The bromine you added with tabs will become bromide so will build up the bromide bank though probably not as much. If you just want to use tabs for now, you can, but if you want ozone to generate the bromine for you then you need to add some sodium bromide since it doesn't sound like you have enough.

Yes, the bromine level will drop over time, though with the ozonator it may settle down to a specific level (though with your low bromide bank it will probably get too low until you add more sodium bromide).

The odor you smell is bromine, not chlorine. And yes, that will reduce when the bromine level gets lower.

Yes, the TA should be around 50 ppm and also use 50 ppm Borates. This is for pH stability.

If you have bromide in the water, then adding non-chlorine shock will activate it to bromine, though does so somewhat slowly (but it's OK). It's more expensive to use than chlorine, but if you already have it you can use it in a bromine spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.