Looking for Good solar blanket recomendations

Jul 14, 2013
Matawan, NJ
My inground pool is around 16x40 and I live in NJ and want to get about a 5-7 degree bump up. This is my first season with the pool but lately at night it gets down to 58-60 so in the morning the pool is around 78-79. My pool is a lagoon style and I am contemplating first getting a solar blanket to see how much that helps, before considering a couple solar panels. I know it won't raise the temp that much but it all helps. Especially when I have quite a few treees in the back yard so bugs and dirt getting in pool are another issue I'm hoping the blanket will help with. Can you guys recommend one and how would I go about getting it custom sized to my pool? Do I have to go back to the company who originally installed the pool 10 years ago? Or Can I send my measurements out and have one made? Will I need a reel also? I remember I had one on my above ground pool years ago it was 12x12x4 and it actually really helped, but within 1-2 seasons it was falling apart.

Thanks for your help

A solar cover (especially when used at night) is probably the best way to get a few degree bump to your pool temperature.

Typically for a pool like yours, you would buy a rectangular or oval one that will cover your whole pool and then cut it to fit your pools profile. I would go with a thinner/cheaper cover since all of them only last a couple of years regardless of thickness and the thinner ones tend to be easier to handle.

As for the cover helping with debris...mine really doesn't since I roll it up on a reel and most of the junk falls in the water...but if you had yours cut in sections and remove the sections without tipping the stuff into the water, then washed them off with a hose, it might help. I just let my filtration system do the work though and get the debris out of the skimmer basket.

Thanks linen. I might cut it into 2 sections. I really do not want to have a reel out on my pool deck all the time so I think if I cut the cover into 2-3 manageable sections I can remove and store them easily. Hopefully that will help a little. If it doesn't I will be asking for more help with solar product recomendations

Linen...so are you telling me NOT to invest in those "so called" heavier gauge, silver and blue, or clear solar covers that claim they are better?? I should just find the cheapest solar cover on the market and go with that? As my pool is 33ft round..so the "better" the solar cover the more $$$$$ it costs.

Any thoughts????

That is the conclusion I have seen multiple times on the forum ... find the cheapest you can as they just do not last very long.

Most of the benefit is heat savings due to preventing evaporation ... so thickness does not matter.

flyweed said:
Linen...so are you telling me NOT to invest in those "so called" heavier gauge, silver and blue, or clear solar covers that claim they are better??
In our more northern climate where getting warm pool water is a challenge, clear solar covers might help with heating when the sun is out but the ambient temps are cool (or there is a lot of wind). I have not been able to bring myself to pay the premium for one yet (I have the typical blue semi-transparent style), but I may try it next time I need one.

good to know...my last solar cover (that lasted 3 seasons) was blue on top and silver underneath. Since our pool is so big, it was a HEAVY BEAST when wet, and even rolling it up was a chore! I guess now, I'll just get the lightest I can, and call it good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.