I need help from Cartridge Filter users & knowledgables

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
My pool info is in my sig, but if you need more, don't hesitate to ask. I inherited the pool last summer and there is a lot I don't know, but I can try to dig up info that may be useful.

I have 2 cartridges for my filter - both were inherited. I know that one is a Sta-Rite P/N 25230-0095 95 square foot filter. Has 3 straps around it, it's old (stamped 5/07), the straps are getting pretty ratty, and there is some darker staining along the top and bottom of the paper folds where they meet the ends. It has a center piece that aligns it on a pole in the center of the filter housing. The filter folds look like a dull fiberglass PAPER when you don't look too closely. When I put this filter in, my pressure runs around 10PSI, and usually increases to 12 PSI or so in about a week to 10-days, or in 1 day or less during an algae clean-up like I have right now.

The 2nd cartridge has NO markings/labels on it at all - no idea what brand it is (the "mystery brand" cart from now on). It's filter folds look much brighter and sparkle - literally looks like Styrofoam it's so bright. It has NO center piece to align it, and it's center holes/vents are different shape from the Sta-Rite cartridge. When it put this filter in, it also starts at 10 PSI, but I swear I could leave this thing in for WEEKS and the pressure never changes, never rises at all.

I "FEEL" like the Sta-Rite gets dirty faster than the "mystery brand" cart, but that is more subjective than an actual pressure gauge reading.

I am thinking that since my Sta-Rite cartridge is looking pretty rough, it's about time to get a new one.

1. Do you think the Sta-Rite cart has it's PSI rise b/c it is worn out? - And, that the "mystery brand" is actually in great shape and does such a great job of filtering that the PSI never rises b/c it has such a large capacity to hold Crud? OR, do you think the "mystery brand" cart is a total POS and does a poor job of filtering, and thus the PSI never rises?

2. If I order a new cart, should I assume the "mystery brand" is a POS and replace it, and use the old Sta-Rite as a back-up, OR is the "mystery brand" is awesome and replace the Sta-Rite?

3. If you believe the "mystery brand" cart is a POS, then how can I make sure that any new cart I order is a true Sta-Rite filter? I don't want to get stuck with another poor performing off-brand, if in fact that is what the "mystery brand" cart is.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sounds like the Sta-Rite is getting close to replacement time. Do you have a way to soak it overnight in a bucket with 1 cup dishwasher powder to 5 gallons water and 1/8 cup bleach? Be sure to rinse thoroughly before and after the soak.

I would guess that the "mystery filter" is a cheap knock-off, and isn't doing the job. Most reputable makers do put their name on the filter, so you are more likely to replace with theirs. If there is no name, chances are high it's a cheap imitation.

You can stick a finger in behind the pleats, and if you can almost see your fingerprints, then it's not up to the task.

Check out the Unicel C-8409, or the Filbur FC-1292. Either would be on par with the original equipment, as the Sta-Rite was probably made by either of those. Both show a 4 oz fabric, and 174 pleat count.

Measure your filter, it should be 8-15/16" dia by 17-3/8 long with 4" holes with molded gasket top and bottom.

If you order from Amazon, be sure what you are ordering is a genuine Unicel or Filbur. There are many sellers with "replaces" or "same as" or some such phrase in the description.

techguy said:
So, the mystery filter never gets dirty? ... or never has pressure increase... but gets dirty?

In the same amount of time as the Sta-Rite, it gets noticeably/visually less dirty than the Sta-Rite, and shows no pressure increase over similar time spans as the Sta-Rite. In fact, I left in in for about two weeks recently and saw no discernible pressure increase.

Charlie_R said:
Sounds like the Sta-Rite is getting close to replacement time. Do you have a way to soak it overnight in a bucket with 1 cup dishwasher powder to 5 gallons water and 1/8 cup bleach? Be sure to rinse thoroughly before and after the soak.

I would guess that the "mystery filter" is a cheap knock-off, and isn't doing the job. Most reputable makers do put their name on the filter, so you are more likely to replace with theirs. If there is no name, chances are high it's a cheap imitation.

You can stick a finger in behind the pleats, and if you can almost see your fingerprints, then it's not up to the task.

Check out the Unicel C-8409, or the Filbur FC-1292. Either would be on par with the original equipment, as the Sta-Rite was probably made by either of those. Both show a 4 oz fabric, and 174 pleat count.

Measure your filter, it should be 8-15/16" dia by 17-3/8 long with 4" holes with molded gasket top and bottom.

If you order from Amazon, be sure what you are ordering is a genuine Unicel or Filbur. There are many sellers with "replaces" or "same as" or some such phrase in the description.

Actually, I soaked in a bucket of Filter cleaner just last week. If you think that would be better, I can give it a try. I also saw a Muratic Acid soak recommendation somewhere in the filter portion of Pool School, so I picked up some more Muratic Acid today and planned to try that tomorrow.

Does Sta-Rite still make my cartridge? Or have they been replaced by Unicel and/or Filbur? I'm not quite up on which company owns what brand names and who makes what for who.

You can probably still get the Sta-Rite. From what I could gather from my brief search, the filter would actually be made by Unicel. However, you may still get a better price with the original equipment, depending on the seller.

The fact that in the same time frame, the "no-name" traps guessing less than half of the crud from your pool, it is maybe 2 oz fabric at best. Definitely a knock-off.

Filter cleaner is fine for what you are doing. Be careful with the MA soak, though. If you have ANY gunk left in the filter, the MA will set it, and essentially make that filter worthless. Best thing to do is to buy a pair of new name brand filters (I'd avoid Pleatco, I've read bad things about their quality, at least for replacements of Intex stock), and keep one in the soak. That won't hurt it, just be sure you rinse thoroughly before and after.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.