Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening with high ph anyone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening with high ph anyone?

There have been a lot of posts in the stain section on the Pool Forum this year about plaster pools getting scale over the winter . It seems that some dirt has gotten encapsulated by the scale, causing stains. Some of the pools are new, and others have not had a problem before with this. They all have mesh covers. I live in Northeast Pa and have a fiberglass pool - I have always opened to very low ph in the spring - this year my ph was above 8. I though it strange at the time, but chalked it up to the fact that my pool was a pond - we had so much rain this year, and my pool actually overflowed and had to be drained down. Then all those hot days.... I wasn't sure where to post this, but was wondering if many others noticed a higher than usual ph on opening this year?
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Funny you should mention it, yes mine was very high also. Did not cover it, and yes it was a pond complete with ducks.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3
    hmmmm very interesting (while rubbing chin)
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    I live in Central PA and my ph was low but not as low as it was last year but my pool was covered until the 26th of may I was kind of happy it wasn't as low as it had been before (less borax) :P maybe there was something in the snow this past winter?
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I had very high pH to start and NO CYA - usually I still have CYA and the pH is fine - vinyl lined pool.
    Also had a couple of ducks using it twice a day until about a week ago when I tied fishing line all around and over the pool.
    I am finding a boatload of bird **** on my solar cover daily, from these blackbirds that keep bombarding everything that does not look like grass (pool, concrete walkways, driveway) - stupid birds - for some reason, this year is really bad for them and I wouldn't be surprised if all their **** has a lot to do with all these chemical changes. I hear they "dispose" of their baby **** from the nests by way of mouth - usually over water.