And Away We Go! New build Austin TX UPDATED 10/31 FINISHED!

Re: And Away We Go! -- New build Austin, TX -- Pics

I only asked as I could see the rebar for it. Is there enough space to put a gunite wall in with a ledge and then stack stone/blocks in front on that ledge? This is the way mine was constructed and it looked like it gave them a nice support for the stone. It was maybe a 6" ledge everywhere stone was going.

I never appreciated before starting this process how many decisions need to be made and how individual it all is. Our PB is good but we're still having to stay involved on a daily basis to make sure that it's done how we want it to be. They've been very good so far although I think our coping may be lighter than we wanted so we'll see when I get home tonight how that conversation goes... It's not a criticism of our builder it's just we have a certain image in our minds and want to make sure we get it.

jamcha02 said:
Did your pool builder have a rock clause in the contract? - meaning an hourly charge in excess of existing charges for excavating the rock?

No he didn't. Most PB's in Austin just assume there will be rock. All of them basically said the cost is the same whether they hit rock or not. I think they basically average the cost out over all their customers and make more money on some and less on others. 1 PB actually said he'd rebate me like 1200 bucks if they didn't hit rock, but that was the only one that indicated a difference.

cbink said:
I only asked as I could see the rebar for it. Is there enough space to put a gunite wall in with a ledge and then stack stone/blocks in front on that ledge? This is the way mine was constructed and it looked like it gave them a nice support for the stone. It was maybe a 6" ledge everywhere stone was going.

I never appreciated before starting this process how many decisions need to be made and how individual it all is. Our PB is good but we're still having to stay involved on a daily basis to make sure that it's done how we want it to be. They've been very good so far although I think our coping may be lighter than we wanted so we'll see when I get home tonight how that conversation goes... It's not a criticism of our builder it's just we have a certain image in our minds and want to make sure we get it.

Yeah, I know it looks weird w/ the rebar sticking out of the gunite. Originally we were going to do a type of wall requiring the gunite, but now we may go a different direction. The PB is being pretty flexible with me. I agree though about having to stay involved. If I hadn't been home when we shot the gunite, my spillway would be in the wrong spot. You are dead on regarding the number of decisions and not understanding how complex this can be. I think building our house was easier. ;)

TAMC93 said:
Looks good and glad the paver thing was "resolved".

Thanks! Yeah, I'm at peace with where we ended, though it was not without a lot of discussion and research. I also really do believe Brian will stand behind his work and he's doing what he knows works well, so had to remind myself of that. I can't wait to get to the 'oasis complete' stage! :)

I'm struggling with something and need some honest opinions. The position of the spillway is not what I originally envisioned. It's going to be a 'scupper' type spillway. I originally expected it to be centered which would make it slightly offset when looking at it from the house/patio. However, they offset the spillway so that it's 'square' with the house/patio. I told him I wanted it centered and he convinced me it would look better from the house like this. I'm not sold though. So what are your honest opinions? I'm afraid the way its offset that it looks unbalanced/unsymmetrical. But the argument is that the waterfall will be nicer from this angle and we will be looking at an angled waterfall if we center the spillway.

I may ask the PB if he can cut the spillway in the center and do a gunite repair on the area that will need to be built back up.

View from the back porch
i-S2VK3H3-L.jpg

View from right side (tanning ledge/entry)
i-dfqv2fT-L.jpg

View from left side/deep side. This might be the best angle to show the offset. More lounging/patio area will be here
i-gJB9WXm-L.jpg

Edited to add photos

I think it should be centered toward the middle of the pool, not the patio. I agree with you. If you look at pictures of my pool you can see that I have both spillways centered to the pool toward each other. If it bugs you now I would have them fix it as it will bug you every time you look at it and it is relatively easy for them to change. You can see from my pictures the main patio area and the scupper waterfall offset from my main patio/deck area. I think having it face directly toward the main deck would have looked awkward.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 230

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Have them move it. I do not like how it looks AND I keep thinking about how it will not be as "restful" on the tanning ledge with the spillover RIGHT there. GOOD LUCK!

Kim

Thanks for your input everyone! PB and I are discussing next week and I'm expecting we'll move it.

Skylar-is that a fire pit with a sheer decent built in? I thought you had two spas at first! ;) Very nice pool and design.

zach5150 said:
Thanks for your input everyone! PB and I are discussing next week and I'm expecting we'll move it.

Skylar-is that a fire pit with a sheer decent built in? I thought you had two spas at first! ;) Very nice pool and design.

It is a fire pit with a sheer descent. I showed you that view as I took that picture from my main patio deck area facing the fire pit like I think your main decking will also face the same way on your spa.

Re: And Away We Go! - New build Austin, TX - Updated Pics 9/

Hey DreamKiller - thanks for asking! Yes, actually there has been. I've been intending to post some updated pics. Here they are:

By the way, we decided to keep the spillway where it is. I don't think there is a wrong answer honestly.

i-4bFd4tm-L.jpg

i-zLDWV7M-L.jpg

i-Z7q4xfL-L.jpg

Oklahoma Chocolate Gold Chopped Block for the Raised Bond Beam

i-vMDhp56-L.jpg

Waterline Tile and Lueder stone coping

i-fVP4Z8T-L.jpg

Our backyard is covered in dust!

i-3dw3JTp-L.jpg

i-tZSbLCQ-L.jpg

It's coming together...check out that spa tile!

i-sMN8kTG-L.jpg

i-6dg6d2J-L.jpg

i-s996rc5-L.jpg

i-vFLJqgx-L.jpg

i-KPRFKZb-L.jpg

We hope the majority of the masonry is finished in the early part of this week, then we'll start the travertine paver patio and landscaping!

And Away We Go! New build Austin, TX UPDATED PIC 10/31 FINIS

We started on August 12th and started filling it October 25th! A little longer than I expected, but we are thrilled with the results! Right now we are in startup so I'm using chlorine pucks but once I get my feet wet (pun intended) and understand the basics of the chemistry, I plan to use BBB. I've got my TF100 test kit at the ready. Here are the updated pics.

Plaster - CLI Sunstone Quartz Smoke with abalone added
i-kc4PwZf-L.jpg

i-RXBSdSK-L.jpg

i-7FnSZT4-L.jpg

We used the spa tile for the spotters. We love how it came out!
i-bJ2pVXh-L.jpg

Water!!
i-MW4jRK5-L.jpg

i-NLxG8nk-L.jpg

Almost there! We started filling at 1pm and finished at 6am the next morning. 2 hoses from our house and our neighbor's hose.
i-jRpPPRL-L.jpg

Done!
i-f4dC7V7-L.jpg

Pumps are on. Bubblers, sheers, spillover all working well!
i-9Mndwmt-L.jpg

And, the outdoor kitchen
i-S59CfvX-L.jpg

A wider view of the pool, kitchen, travertine paver deck and a bit of the new landscaping.
i-6JFCVPs-L.jpg

LED lights
i-MJRK7VS-L.jpg

i-X22BLXV-L.jpg

Thanks to everyone for being a sounding board and for the advice along the way. I hope to become a good contributor here as I learn the ropes of pool ownership now that I'm past construction. We've got a few little punch list things but overall we are very happy. Too bad it got finished so late in the year....not much swim time left. I will heat it at least once this season once the plaster is cured enough so that we can enjoy it for a little while before it gets much colder.

Re: And Away We Go! New build Austin TX UPDATED 10/31 FINISH

Looks great, congrats!
Can you tell me how long your outdoor kitchen is?
It's very similar to what I want to do (grill, sink and fridge) and I'm curious if I have enough space.

cbink said:
Looks great, congrats!
Can you tell me how long your outdoor kitchen is?
It's very similar to what I want to do (grill, sink and fridge) and I'm curious if I have enough space.

Thank you!

Yeah, I was concerned whether we'd have the space as well. It's 8' 8" from the wall of the house to the column, which is the effective 'countertop/grilltop' space. The 'frame' is built from 4" CMU block, so you need to consider the support columns inside the structure and ensure there's enough space for the unseen stuff like that as well. I also put a couple of vents on the back of the kitchen for the refrigerator and grill to be able to breathe. If you are similar in dimensions to this and were planning to build it using CMU block, let me know and I have a few pics of the kitchen construction that may help. I'm pretty excited about how it came out.

pragmatic said:
Very nice! Love the travertine-paver deck :goodjob:

Thank you! We went through so many design considerations - started off thinking about concrete, then flagstone, then Belgard pavers....eventually we stumbled on the idea of travertine pavers and really glad we did. Unbelievable how many great options there are out there for pool patios! :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.