D E on pool bottom

Aug 10, 2013
I had a service come out and show me some stuff with the pool, I just recently bought a house and first time pool owner... They pulled the filter out cleaned and investigated, mentioned everything looks healthy and its a good conditioned system. I added the suggested amount to my skimmer howerver one of two things happened, I put it in too fast and its now in the pool or something is bringing in because I possibly added to much. when My filter is off it sits and the pool looks amazing except for the de on the bottom but when filter kicks on it pushes everything around clouding the pool. So any advice?

Thanks!

I put in 7 lbs I have a 65a Hayward Filter, I just spent an hour sucking it all up with the vacuum, I shut off my pump and comes out of my skimmer, I like lava flowing out of a volcano... Back to a foggy pool! Any ideas?

Wait you said when you turn the pump off it comes out of the skimmer? If that's what is happening its lowing backward. There should be a check valve to prevent that.

I have been reading, since this house was built it has been a DE filter, and I cant imagine them going this long dealing with DE flowing back in the pool, I have been reading on water levels, my pool is about 8 - 10 inches lower then when we first bought the home. Could this have something to do with this?

too add to that, I cant say when the last time they serviced the pool, when I became the owner I had a service come to the house, we pulled the filter open cleaned off the dread locks and added DE, I added it to fast and thought that this was the cause, there was practically no DE in the filter at all.

When you added the DE, how long did the pump run afterward before you turned it off? Is it possible that quite a bit was still left in the skimmer and hadn't had time to get washed downstream into the filter?

IIRC, The Hayward filter has a check valve built into the filter base. I have the same filter, one size smaller, and it NEVER backs up. I think near the union where the filter connect to the pump is the check valve. gotta run. I will check back later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.