Lots of questions for doing it myself first time this week

Re: Lots of questions for doing it myself first time this we

Since you lost more than 1 ppm FC overnight, you need to do (or continue) the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool Your SLAM level is 31 ppm FC for your 80 ppm cya. Get your FC up there and keep it up there until you pass all three criteria simultaneously mentioned in the process and in my sig.

I wondered about that, but chalked it up to my having dumped so much chlorine in inadvertently. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll start the official SLAM process this evening and keep my fingers crossed that it's brief.

I might have a problem? I retread the SLAM procedure before doing anything after linen's direction to go SLAM. I read that you should add to target level or a little higher. I added a lot higher, and went to 40 FC instead of the target of 31. Did I hurt my pool, equipment? I am such a nimnut!!!! I guess it helps when you know your pool better than I know mine presently.

My other question is that the OCLT results showed I lost 3.5ppm overnight. Is it possible to lose 2ppm the night before slamming and 3.5 ppm--more--the night of slamming? This seems strange to me.

Finally, can you lose ppm during the night also due to high water temperature (pool is 88 F) and evaporation? My husband suggested this and I didn't have an answer.

The SLAM continues...

Thanks everyone

Your 40 PPM FC will burn off during the day assuming you have some exposure to the sun. Don't worry about it.

The larger OCLT loss during slam indicates that the higher concentration of chlorine at SLAM levels is doing the job and doing what's needed. Clearly, your SLAM is not done -- stick with it.

Regarding the overnight loss and evaporation -- it should not account for anything significant. Remember, there is the allowance of 1.0 PPM loss overnight to account for such losses. Many people find it's even less than that (like 0.5) when the process is really finished.

Hmmm, is this still normal?

OCLT first night of SLAM pool lost 3.5 ppm FC. OCLT second night of SLAM (last night) pool lost 4ppm. Is it normal to lose more FC the second night? I would have expected less loss.

I did not brush the pool yesterday (I'm a slacker, I know. Does thinking about it count?), so maybe this will help when I do it today.

Is there any general rule of thumb for how long a SLAM process takes? Days, weeks? Just curious.

There really is no normal amount of loss during the SLAM process. You can lose more or less from one night to the other. You really don't need to run an OCLT every night during the SLAM process.

There's also no set amount of time that it takes to complete the SLAM process. A week is not unusual but it could be more or less. How often you test and raise the FC back to shock level makes the greatest difference in finishing the process in the least amount of time possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hello All. First, thanks to those of you who have been following my new adventure in pool maintenance and a very big thanks to those who have taken the time to write suggestions. You are great!

The SLAM continues and it would seem that my water looks more sparkly than before, so I think I'm starting to see differences in the water quality--good sign, I think.

My question right now is the following: I have to backwash once the SLAM process is over, correct?

I've been reading many of the threads on back washing on the forum and I've watched a bunch of videos. My freak out level about back washing is medium/medium-high, but I'll get thru it! HOWEVER, I need your help! Here's why:

I don't know if there is DE in my DE filter or something else. I read a thread about DE substitutes (I didn't know there was such a thing) and Richard320 made a comment about how he had switched to a product called FiberClear and was glad to have made the switch. The reason I ask if you can help me out, is that I was about to go buy some DE and a scoop in preparation for the upcoming backwash when I read Richard's post and it made me realize that when I saw the pool service guy break down and clean the filter last fall, the stuff he was hosing off in my grass looked bluish white and not like the photos of grid filters yucked up with a dirt brown substance that I assume is DE.

Any thoughts or comments?

I have to backwash once the SLAM process is over, correct?
I'll take that one and let others comment on DE....I have sand.

Backwash is really a seperate issue from SLAM. Backwash should be judged solely by your psi.

Anytime your psi rises to about 25% or so over normal pressure, it's time to backwash...irrespective of whether you are SLAMming or not.

I don't have a DE filter, so keep that in mind. Since you don't know what is in the filter, maybe it would be a good idea for you to take the filter apart and give it a thorough cleaning. That way you would get all of the stuff out, and then you wouldn't have to worry about what is currently in there. Then fill it up with DE or the DE alternative, whichever you prefer.

The cellulose fiber cost more than DE. I would doubt that your pool service would use it. If you just wasn't to do a back flush on the filter, just use DE. If you plan on doing a full breakdown cleaning, you can use either. Don't stress either way is not really that hard. When the time comes you give us some info on the filter and plumbing, maybe post a picture and we will guide you through it step by step.

SLAM results:

8/14 OCLT FC dropped 1ppm, CC .5 ppm, water clear
8/15 OCLT FC dropped .5 ppm, CC .5 ppm, water clear

Can I stop the SLAM process now?

When I started slamming, I had 0ppm CC. Should I keep going to get rid of the .5ppm that has developed, or not worry about it since the SLAM dierections say CC .5ppm or less is ok?

When is it safe to go back into pool? My FC is about at SLAM level of 30.5 ppm is morning, target FC is 6-9 ppm.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be back soon to ask you to kindly walk me through my first back wash :l :-D

How does you water look? If it is clear, then go ahead and let your FC start to drop. As long as the CC cleared with 1 drop (meaning it is less than 0.5 ppm), you are fine there.

It is safe to swim up to your SLAM level.

Thanks, linen!

Water was gorgeous yesterday, but we had rain during the night (and there's a gutter that conveniently dumps from the roof almost directly into the pool--genius design), so it looks less gorgeous this morning, but still pretty good. The change is due to the rain, not whatever was growing; I'm positive because it always changes a bit/a lot depending on the amount of rain and stuff in my gutters.

CC cleared with one drop--yea!

Good to know it's safe to swim at SLAM level. That bit of information had slipped my notice.
We can swim--Yay!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.