Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tampering???

1. Back To Top    #1

Tampering???

I am a new homeowner, and have a slight problem. Bear with me if i get longwinded
    The woman who owned the house before us had service through a local company. When we moved in she cancelled that service, and 5 days later, when we moved in, the pool was cloudy, green, and nasty. we took a sample to the pool supply store, and they recommended a shock treatment, when we applied the treatment, it made the pool worse. So, not knowing what else to do, we reinstated service with the same company she had used previously, about a week or so later, the pool was beautiful. We kept the service since, and recently decided that I could manage it myself. After cancelling the service, our service tech came, even though service was cancelled, on his regular day(a neighbor saw him come in). 2 days later, the pool started discoloring, becoming green. at this point i used a testing kit, purchased from the pool supply store, and all readings came back norm. now, a week after the techs unscheduled visit, i cant even see the bottom of the **** thing, it is gross! im worried that if i repeat the whole process, shock treatments and whatnot, the pool will again get worse. HELP!!! is it possible that the tech could have done something to tamper with the pool, hoping we would call them back to reinstate service again. I refuse to do this, and would like to do it on my own. any ideas, or am i just overreacting?
    Thx, from Florida

if it matters, is a 10k gallon inground, concrete pool

Ok, using my newly purchased Taylor test kit, my results are:
    Free Chlor = 3 ppm
    total Chlor = 3 ppm
    FC -TC = CC=0
    Ph =7.2
    total alk = 80ppm
    calcium hardness = 300ppm
    Cyanuric Acid = 85ppm

i think these where all the tests i was supposed to run on the pool, my local pool store is now closed, but i will take a sample in to them on monday, while there i purchased liquid chlorine (appx 8 gallons) 2 packets of algicide (YellowTreat), and a clarifier (ClearView)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tampering???

Can you go to a pool store and get them to test your water without buying any chemicals. It is gonna take a set of numbers for us to really diagnose this issue to tell you for sure.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

I actually have read a little further into your forums, and am going to do excatly that, i hear the TF-100 is a widely recommended test kit?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabid
    I actually have read a little further into your forums, and am going to do excatly that, i hear the TF-100 is a widely recommended test kit?
    Yes. It is.

Have the pool store test for Bacquacil, JIC....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I would recommend if you plan to maintain your own pool that you invest in a good kit such as the TF-100. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road. But in the meantime have the pool store test it and post the numbers so we can get your pool sparkling.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi, Jack,

Welcome to the forum! If it were my pool, I would save the money and not purchase "yellow Treat" nor the clarifier.

The chlorine will clear your pool beautifully If you'll read jason's article on how to clear a green swamp up in the pool school. (just under the header)

Ask lots of questions. Very nice folks here on the forum with lots of knowledge.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

the link under pool school does not work
    found an alternate link, thru the forums