Chlorine Level Question

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Per the CYA/Chlorine chart...I should be roughly 6 PPM FC given my CYA of 50. Is there any downside to targeting a higher number - say 8 or 9? At times I'm just not able to test my water each and every day. I was thinking that the higher target would give me a little leeway if the Chlorine level does drop down significantly on a day I'm not able to test the water.

Also, any ill effects on a vinyl pool liner keeping my Chlorine level at 8/9 all Summer long? I'm most concerned with the potential of "bleaching" all the colored graphics on the liner.

The most import thing is to keep the FC above the MINIMUM for your CYA. Your pool would be safe up to shock level, so you should not see any fading.

The downside to a higher FC level is that you lose a % of the FC to the sun each day, as the FC level is higher, you lose more FC to the sun at a given CYA level.

Best it add chlorine after the sun if off the pool. That allows the FC level to stay up overnight before the sun starts to burn it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.