Took the plunge and took the Aqua Smarte Mineral System out.

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
So I'm one month into owning a pool. After reading everything on here and watching my CYA level climb with the trichlor, tonight I took out the mineral cartridge and trichlor cartridge out of the Aqua Smarte. I will only use it if I go on vacation. So at this point I guess I'm now using the BBB method. So do I have to check the chlorine level everyday, or is every other day good?

Also, I have been running my pump 24/7 since it was installed. How much do the rest of you run your pumps? I have no idea yet how much electric it takes to run it 24/7. :?: Mostly I'm concerned with keeping the pool water nice. I also don't want to have to worry about turning it on so many hours a day and with the twist plug, I doubt I could use a timer.

I'm starting to feel fairly comfortable with the pool. Although the chlorine level hit 12 yesterday. That Aqua Smart thing is hard to regulate, but that won't be a problem anymore. The thoughts of winterizing are a little scary at this point, but I have a couple months before I have to start that. I'll be doing lots of reading on here about that when the time comes.

Re: Took the plunge and took the Aqua Smarte Mineral System

In the beginning, you should test chlorine and pH every day. Over time, you will get to know your pool, and can test less often. There is no need to run the pump 24 hours a day. There is no set time, either. There is an article in pool school about determining pump run time. I'm sure they make a special timer for twist lock plugs, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Test everyday for a while and you'll learn your pool's appetite. Then maybe you'll get casual about it and just add the usual amount of bleach and test on alternate days. Really, all you need daily is FC and pH. The other stuff doesn't change that fast.
pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule
pool-school/pump_run_time

[center:1csq2ovx]
file.php
[/center:1csq2ovx]

brmommy said:
Also, I have been running my pump 24/7 since it was installed. How much do the rest of you run your pumps? I have no idea yet how much electric it takes to run it 24/7. :?: Mostly I'm concerned with keeping the pool water nice. I also don't want to have to worry about turning it on so many hours a day and with the twist plug, I doubt I could use a timer.

I have the same pool and aqua smarte that you have. I have this timer which the electrician installed.
http://www.athomerecreation.net/SUN-POOL-PRODUCTSTWIST-LOCK-TIMER-11364
This is for a twist lock plug.

Not sure if you could buy locally.

rick6668 said:
I have the same pool and aqua smarte that you have. I have this timer which the electrician installed.
http://www.athomerecreation.net/SUN-POOL-PRODUCTSTWIST-LOCK-TIMER-11364
This is for a twist lock plug.

Not sure if you could buy locally.

Thanks for the link. I will look into getting one of those right away! I already bought a timer for the step light but never even checked to see if they make one for that twist plug.

I see in your signature that you have made a solar holder. Do you have any problem with the solar cover getting to hot on it out in the sun? I read that they can melt. Do you cover it with something else while in the holder?

brmommy said:
I see in your signature that you have made a solar holder. Do you have any problem with the solar cover getting to hot on it out in the sun? I read that they can melt. Do you cover it with something else while in the holder?

No problem with it getting too hot and melting. Never heard of that. It was in the holder for 3-5 days when it was 90+ each day in July and I had no issues. I didn't cover it or anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.