Closing pool in Richmond, Va?

May 31, 2013
Virginia
Thinking ahead here...

I'm wondering if I need to close the pool? Blow out the drains and all that mysterious stuff? We do get below freezing just a handful of nights in Jan/Feb (sometimes as low as the teens), but generally the winter is mild. It's uncommon to be below freezing during the day. In fact, a lot of times in January we get days that get pretty warm - 60's and maybe even 70.

eta - if it does freeze, only the top inch or so at the most would freeze over. At our old house we had a goldfish barrel (maybe two feet tall by two feet diameter), and the the top 3 inches or so would freeze some nights (not very often), but it never froze all the way through. Also, the pump and all the pipes are located in a shed built into a hill. Our pool is built into a hill and all the plumbing goes down through the hill into the pump house.

I'm really hoping I don't have to mess with closing a pool, but I will to avoid expensive repairs in the spring.

I would winterize. Just because we've had a few mild winters doesn't meet we won't get a hard freeze this year. The frost line is 18" for most building codes around here. All your above ground pipes, filter, and pump could potentially freeze and break.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.