Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK, I've shocked my pool, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK, I've shocked my pool, now what?

Alright, my FC was .5 and my TC/CC was 3 this morning so for the first time ever, I've shocked my pool. Now, I've been told that the FC has to "hold" until morning. Does that mean it has to stay at shock numbers (I've got it up to about 15 right now)?? If so, how long will it take to go down enough to let the kids swim? and what is a safe number to let the kids swim?
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK, I've shocked my pool, now what?

You should keep shock level until you have less than 1 ppm CC and Your FC loses only 1ppm or less overnight and your water is clear.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by templehb
    Alright, my FC was .5 and my TC/CC was 3 this morning so for the first time ever, I've shocked my pool. Now, I've been told that the FC has to "hold" until morning. Does that mean it has to stay at shock numbers (I've got it up to about 15 right now)?? If so, how long will it take to go down enough to let the kids swim? and what is a safe number to let the kids swim?
    I've swam as high as 10ppm with ZERO issues, showered after. But I had high CYA at the time...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, overnight my FC dropped from 15 to 3 and my TC dropped from 15 to about 5. I added more bleach this morning and will try shocking again tonight to see if it keeps. Any ideas how many days this might take?

5. Back To Top    #5

That means you have a CC of 2ppm and yes, you must shock to get that below .5

Hard to say....could be 2 or 3 nights, maybe. Sounds like you caught it early, if the water is clear....

Shock it after dark, wait an hour and test. Test again in the morning. If your number holds you should be o.k...no live algea consuming it.

Be sure to run the filter 24/7 till you water is stable.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

The water is still clear. I've never really had algae, I guess because it doesn't show on the fiberglass. Wow, I can't believe how much bleach I've gone through. I'll keep trying tonight!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been amazed at the bleach I've gone through too. Whew. It really is a ton. But it's best to get the chlorine up there and hold it to kill what's going on in there. If you just up it a little you're only killing it as fast as it's growing back. Whack it in the head by getting it to the shock level and keep it there. Otherwise you'll keep adding chlorine every day like I've been and still not get the job done a week later.

I'm hoping by keeping mine at the shock level instead of getting it there and letting it drift back down that I can finally get mine to clear.

Steve
    24' Round Above-Ground Pool, 13500 Gallons
    Triton Meteor Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The water is still clear. I've never really had algae, I guess because it doesn't show on the fiberglass. Wow, I can't believe how much bleach I've gone through. I'll keep trying tonight!!
    Do you know what your CYA is?

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA is 45.

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA is 45.
    Well that's good. So you're shocking to the right level then. Any improvement overnight?

11. Back To Top    #11

It's a little better than yesterday morning. It stayed up to about 4.5 but I'm sure it will drift back down to almost nothing before the end of the day. Should I be adding chlorine during the day as well or just at night when the sun goes down?

12. Back To Top    #12

CYA protects your chlorine from uv loss....so if you drift down during the day it's not from the sun, it's from the organics consuming the CL. So yeah, I'd go ahead and keep it up. The sooner you get it to hold the sooner you'll be done shocking.....

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm on day 4 of my fight. This morning my FC was at about 9 and my TC was about 10. I added more bleach and we'll keep on fighting. I counted and have been through at least 30 gallons of bleach over 3 days.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm right there with you. I'm keeping my chlorine a lot higher now but it's still using it. I've had mine between 18 and 22 for the past 2 days. I hope to win this fight soon ! I've gone through a ton of bleach too.

Steve

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow, 18-22! You've probably gone through more bleach then I have!! How long have you kept yours that high?

16. Back To Top    #16

It's no harder to keep it at that level once you get it there. It drifts down at the same rate it seems. It was just a few jugs to get it up to this level.

With my CYA of 60, the Pool Calculator says the shock level is 18. So I'm trying to keep it at that level or above instead of letting it drift below before I add more. I've had it at shock level or above for 2 days now. In those 2 days, I've added 8 of the larger jugs so 12-13 gallons of bleach. I've brushed the pool every day and vacuumed it. My pool sat as a green swamp for 2 years (previous owners) so I guess I just had a lot of work to do. It seems very clean and blue to me now. I still find a leaf here and there at the bottom but no dirt or grit and the walls are clean.

My FC was 18.5 at 8:30 this morning. I added half a jug and it was 18.5 at 11am. Just now at 2:45 it was 18 again so I added one whole jug. I'll check again late in the day before I go to bed and then again tomorrow morning to see where I stand.

I'm a newbie. But makes sense to me that as long as the FC is getting used up and CC's are being created, there's still something in there to fight. My pump / sand filter are going 24/7. I hope to win this battle soon. Patience is DEFINITELY the hardest part.

Steve