Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Just put in a 2 speed pump. On high my DE gauge reads 29 on low it reads 8. I have a 2# check valve in a 2" line going to the pool; on low it sits there and clicks and makes rushing sound (not loud, just noisier than the pump). Can I assume the check valve isn't really restricting flow? The reason pressure is 29 on high is I installed slotted return eyes and it raised that pressure by 5psi. Don't really care since I plan on running on low 8 hrs/day. Just curious what an expected filter pressure should be at low speed with clean filter.

I would suspect that you might have a bad pressure gauge. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Is the filter below the water level of the pool? If yes, how much?

Why do you have the 2-pound check valve? Note: a 2-pound check valve will require 2 psi to get it to open.

I have a 2# check valve because it came with the house and just had a single speed motor last week. If the filter is at 8#, the check valve must be open (4 jets have decent flow). I just thought the noise was funny and wondered what "normal" is on low. Pump is 6-8" above water level.

Since pump is above, I see no reason for the check valve, may remove it, since 2# is restricting flow slightly.

Also, I have an issue with skimmer function (on low). I have drain valve shut halfway, and skimmer still doesn't have much "suck". I can put a leaf 3" into the skimmer opening and it will float back into the pool. Most small bugs just float by (1" from it). It has rained and level is about 1" above center, but I don't think lower would help much. Is this normal?

I ordered a Poolskim to hopefully alleviate the skimming problem. Will remove check valve tonight if I make it to Home Depot.

Yes to the weir, normally works well on high. I guess I could close the drain and aim the jets straight down. Will try that tonight to see how much the skimmer improves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.