The resilient green cloud!

Apr 13, 2013
East Texas
FC 15
CC .3
PH 7.6
TA 250
CH 200
CYA 10 (per pool store. Couldn’t register it on mine and I am currently adding stabilizer using sock/skimmer method)

I cannot get rid of my green stuff. Pool calculator says shock level is 10 and mustard algae is 12 which I tried for a couple of days and now I’ve had it at 15 for 48 hours. Before starting the shocking process I added FC each morning to bring it to 6 and it is usually 2.5 – 3 the next morning with only .5 (or 0 a couple of nights) for the week leading up to the SLAM. I have never let it get lower than that so I’m confused as to how I got algae in the first place. What I have is a slight green “settling” on the bottom of the pool that accumulates in the wrinkles and low spots (darn gophers!) even though I haven’t turned my pump off in a week. You almost can’t see it until you brush and the liner looks bluer underneath it and you get a small green cloud. I understand it takes a while for the filter to get it but shouldn’t all the chlorine be turning it something other than green? I’ve also been adding DE to my sand filter each time I backwash. The condition above hasn’t changed a bit in 4 days I’ve been doing this (returning it to shock levels several times during the day, too, as well as after the sun goes down). Its not even noticeable until you brush. The water looks clear but not sparkly. Nothing growing on sides and settles back down pretty quick after a brushing (which I am doing daily or more). Lost 1,1, and .5 ppm the first three nights of shocking but last night it maintained the 15 FC overnight.

Needed stabilizer so took a sample into the pool store just for kicks. Their numbers were so different it was alarming but I’ve got a K-2006 so I feel confident in all the numbers above except for the CYA. It was running at 30 all summer until I left the water running too long and overflowed my pool for about 30 minutes about 2 weeks ago :roll: Working on getting it back up and not confident it is as low as 10 but shocking over suggested levels even for a 20 CYA. Pool store did say my phosphates were really high (1000) and again I read that shouldn’t be an issue if I am keep safe levels of chlorine – which I am.

I’m getting pretty discouraged :x -- for such a small issue not to be seeing any changes when I’m shocking several times a day over suggested levels. I have read and re-read pool school and SLAM. Don’t want to damage anything and what I’ve read says you should only run it at higher shock levels for a day or so and I’ve already done it for two. Where did it come from and how do I make it go away? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like dirt or dust to me. It sounds like you've passed the OCLT every night. I get dirt every day during the summer that it isn't raining. It always settles in the little divots and along the seams. I'd start using a fine skimmer sock and vacuum every day for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.