Chlorine/CYA relationship

Also the % on-time by itself means nothing because it depends on the output capacity (size) of your SWG system. Do you know its rated output, usually as pounds of chlorine (Cl2) per day? Also, how long do your run your pump and at what times of the day?

Yeah, with weather like this I think you just have to test and adjust every day. I've been trying to add some stabilizer to my pool, but with this rain it is impossible. I started the season having to fill up the pool with my well water, then we got 12" of rain in June, so the pool was overflowing for a while. Now my pool was low, but this rain should take care of that. Is it too much to ask for a nice summer with normal weather?

One follow up note here, the main reason for our approx 70 ppm CYA level suggestion for SWG pools is to minimize the chlorine use, and thereby maximize the life of the SWG cell, you will find some SWG manufacturers that suggest running at a level of 40 ppm CYA and an FC level close to the one we suggest in the CYA chart. We would see nothing wrong with this from chemical balance point of view, we would just see it as wasteful on cell life, and might have a concern that the cell could not keep up with demand.

Ike

Ike,

Makes sense. Tonight I ran my own tests with my K-2006. Here's what I got:

TC = 5.0
FC = 5.0
TA = 100
pH = 7.8
CH = 310
CYA = 55

As usual, my TA & pH drifted up a touch. That's always the case with my SWG. So I put about 24 oz of Muriatic Acid in and am running the pump for a few hours before I go to bed.

Tomorrow I will add more Borax. But that discussion is in another thread..... i-joined-this-forum-to-learn-about-borates-t65794.html

The roughly 80 ppm CYA level for the SWG isn't just to lengthen its life, but also to be able to reduce its on-time to reduce aeration and chlorine generation to reduce the rate of pH rise since that is a common problem in SWG pools. Between the higher CYA, so lower on-time, and lower TA and use of 50 ppm Borates, the rate of pH rise can be slowed considerably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.