Helping out an Older Father-In-Law

duraleigh said:
I have added Hypo three times today
I was fooled by that statement....sorry.

No Problem at all, as I,should have been a little clearer with my statement.

Got to FIL house before the sun hit the sky to run another series of tests. They were as follows:

FC 11
CC 1.0

Not any real difference in looks of the pool. Still green/grayish and cloudy. My target FC from here on out will be 12 using the CYA/Chlorine chart.

I can see a small pile of white debris in the center of the pool that I will vaccuum to waste today while I am there checking the parameters in the early afternoon hours. I figure that getting out anything that has a Chlorine demand can only be good...

One area of concern is that I am not seeing the FC drop like some people have talked about in other threads on this forum. Is that anything I should be concerned with? Most of the time I am seeing a FC loss of only 1-2 between tests.

Thanks again...

jblizzle said:
That just means you have less stuff in the water consuming the chlorine. Why be concerned?

Until now, my FIL had been using Sustain products. There is a "mystery" product that is called "Summer Shield" that is the wildcard in my pool.

Reading some other threads on here about those trying to switch to the BBB method were concerned that they couldn't get their CC down....Chemgeek sums it up nicely in an edit to his post in this link

sustain-pool-chemicals-t30147.html

OK... SLAM question. I should be targeting a FC of 12 with my CYA of 30...

My question is if I say target it at a FC of 16-18, is there any negatives that could come from that? Increased corrosion, liner damage? Are there any negatives to that? I wont be able to babysit this pool now (working guy) like I have this weekend. I will only be testing it 3 times a day instead of the 5+ that I did this weekend. Just want to give it a little cushion to fall, and not have to go through another SLAM...

Thanks

This overall is a good sign, sand filters can be slow to clear dead algae, how are your CC levels looking? You may want to consider adding some DE / FIlter aid to your Sand filter to speed the clearing, just make sure to do it while you are around as sand filters will often pick up so much junk upon DE addition that they need back washing within 2-3 hours. pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Ike

Thanks for the quick reply Ike... I cannot be there, as its my FIL house, so I really dont want to put DE in there. I realize it will help clear it fast, but dont want to hurt the filter/pump by not being there.

I have been backwashing daily. Just about one minute until water comes clear, then rinse for 20 seconds, then return to filter. Is that long enough in everyones mind?

My CC is still there. CC=1.5 to 1.0 at any given time. Never really got any higher. But is alway there.

I just thought the cloudiness would be chewing up the FC, and it hasnt been using a bunch of FC, as compared to other threads I have read.

Just worried about cloudiness.

Thanks

Sand takes a long time to clear the cloudiness. It sounds like you are doing well and everything in the pool is about dead. Unfortunately comes the hard part, waiting and waiting for the sand to clear it. Keep the faith! There are many examples of people clearing a swamp who are just past your point and get frustrated and are ready to throw in the towel, and all of a sudden it's like a switch is thrown and it goes clear overnight. Here's your mantra, repeat after me: "I will have P.O.P. I will have P.O.P..."

As for DE, you wouldn't do damage to the filter by not being around, but what would happen is that the pressure rise and resultant flow decrease would render it basically ineffective until the next backwash. If you can't babysit it, don't use DE for the efficiency reason.

Thanks Smykowski.... I need posts like that to keep the faith....I have never been blessed with patience :) ....but I dont want to screw up now....I also have to realize I only have been in it since Saturday at 10 am....need to give it at least a week...

Should I backwash more often, even if gauge dosent indicate elevated pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK Pool pros, need some more guidance.

I have a feeling the cloudiness is related to my CH being in the mid 600's...but I need some pros to let me know...

Still in SLAM mode sine Saturday...Here are my numbers...pH was gotten before SLAM started

PH 7.3
TA 80
FC 12
CC .5
CY 25

I am trying to keep FC a touch higher than needed because I can only check it 4 times a day. The temp is in the mid 90's in Delaware, and forecast that way all week. My FC values only shrink overnite 1.0 at the most the last 2 nights, but during the day my noon Fc will be 12, and my 4PM check will be 9.5. It seems the sun is really taking a toll on the FC then. It has never gotten below 9 during this SLAM, and when I was off during the weekend that I started the SLAM, i would test every 4 hours.

My question is why still so cloudy? I have been brushing the sides and floor daily. My sand filter shows no pressure increase, and I check the flow out of the filter by hand, and its clearly strong and working....but The pool looks no different really than Saturday at noon. Last nights FC and this mornings were practically the same, only off by .5

Am I missing something here? Getting frustrated as people say I should see gradual clear up, but it looks gray/green, and can see maybe 18 inches into the pool, same as day one.

Is the Sustain Shield srewing with me? Is the high CH creating clouds?

Sorry just frustrated....

Thanks

Part of the problem is we often like to over simplify things, there are thousands of species of algae, some seem to be harder to filter out than others, so while one person may see great progress filtering out dead algae with a sand filter after only 3 or 4 days, it may take someone else weeks to get the same effect. For now I would suggest continuing the same course for now, see if your overnight loss continues to improve, and perhaps try the DE trick over night too.

Ike

p.s. the clouding might be CH or a Sustain interaction, but I would not give up on it being algae yet, at least not until you try adding some DE to the sand filter

You might consider raising CYA to 40. Shock level is higher, but if you're losing FC to the sun faster than you are losing it to algae and organics, it might be worthwhile.

Have you run an OCLT yet?

Soupy said:
You might consider raising CYA to 40. Shock level is higher, but if you're losing FC to the sun faster than you are losing it to algae and organics, it might be worthwhile.

Have you run an OCLT yet?

I did just put in some last night to increase CY to the 35-40 mark, but as I understand it may take a few days to dissolve, and show up....I have been running my FC a little higher than seen in CYA/ Chlorine chart due to not being able to check every 3-4 hours...

I haven't ran a OCLT yet, but last two night have only lost between 1 and 1.5 FC

Isaac-1 said:
Part of the problem is we often like to over simplify things, there are thousands of species of algae, some seem to be harder to filter out than others, so while one person may see great progress filtering out dead algae with a sand filter after only 3 or 4 days, it may take someone else weeks to get the same effect. For now I would suggest continuing the same course for now, see if your overnight loss continues to improve, and perhaps try the DE trick over night too.

Ike

p.s. the clouding might be CH or a Sustain interaction, but I would not give up on it being algae yet, at least not until you try adding some DE to the sand filter

I am gonna go check it out before dark....gonna vaccuum and see what I get out of it....I do see what appears to be a small circle of debris on bottom....maybe vaccuum to waste, and see what tomorrow holds....

My suggestion for the DE trick overnight, is then you would not be loosing circulation if it did clog up, like you would if you were to do the DE trick during the day when you need circulation the most.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.