Strange Sound Coming from "deck"

House could have been built over a Karstic Area. This could be especially true if you are in a newly developed area ~ virgin land. If this is just a result that occured after a huge rain that further supports this idea. Are you in an area with underground mines by chance ~ you mention you are remote so this is a possibility.

DKT113 said:
House could have been built over a Karstic Area. This could be especially true if you are in a newly developed area ~ virgin land. If this is just a result that occured after a huge rain that further supports this idea. Are you in an area with underground mines by chance ~ you mention you are remote so this is a possibility.

Honestly I have no idea, how would I find out ?

toofast said:
It was not there yesterday...all that changed was a MASSIVE rain storm...could it be somehow water running far underground and somehow it is channeling up ?

A sewer lift pump running nearby? Sump pump?

Local courthouse would have all filed land records that relate to your property.

In a new development they probably would have had you sign off on acknowledging you were purchasing land effected by mining and you would have had insurance difficulties, if they felt it was close enough to have an effect on your home. A lot of times though they don't like to put that out there and in people's minds so it isn't really brought to anyone's attention.

Karst areas are more difficult to determine but are usually found in/around limestone & gypsum areas.

Honestly I am thinking it's water rushing under there and vibrating ~ you have a base of rock down and rebar, when the ground vibrates the rock will carry the sound. You are very confident there aren't any type of utility/ manmade water lines under there and you are the landowner and only homebuilder that piece of land has known so the rushing water is more plausible.

Do you live in an area known to have sinkholes?

If you are absolutely certain there are no power lines you could poke and hope. For smaller job we use an air drill and drill steels to get into the earth, larger ones we use a rig ~I don't know what a person in your situation does. From the video it's loud so I would think whatever is running is near the surface. It could very easily be something minor, but in saying that because of what I have seen in my line of work it could be a bit more serious than what a person realizes so use caution. We all have water running under our feet and very seldom take notice of it until it appears on the surface ~ so when you can hear it and the land isn't puddled that's an indication of a pretty large flow / strong head.

DK - thanks again for the feedback. I am really leaning towards water...turned off the power and I still hear it faintly - although quieter than before. But if water, it must be a underground river down deep ? Or something like that....before the gravel / rebar (last year) the ground was a ft. lower and I never heard a thing.

I will check again in morning, now that the rain stopped and see what I hear. I think it is time for bed...I hope I don't dream about this.

Hey the great news is you are aware of this prior to the pour.

Your PB might deal with this type of thing in your area all the time.

Don't fret, you are aware and there will be resolve. And it is diminishing, so that further plays into a channel in the ground that carried your rushing storm waters. You just want to make sure before you pour this is dealt with so your deck isn't ruined before it's been properly partied on and enjoyed. No one wants to go through that ordeal twice.

Don't worry, speaking with your contractor tomorrow and sleep well. You'll get this figured out ~ I just didn't want you out there digging if there could be electric in the area or busting something large open not realizing it could be something "large"

Sleep well and please keep us posted :)

The utility location service did not mark anything in that area before you started to dig? Hate to say it, but when I listened to the sound it definatly sounded manmade to me. I would verify there is nothing routed under there before going any further. A call to the local utilities (electric) would be my first step.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is so strange. Be sure and take some more recordings.

I like the cicada’s hatch theory, allthough i don't know if they make noise as they are "waking up".

The underground stream/river theory is interesting as well, I've been in a few underground caves with water, you'd never suspect they are there, so crazy.

Well - guess what, no more noise. Yep, nothing changed other than it is the next day and dead silence.

I talked to the PB and they did a pre-dig electrical check, and nothing runs behind the house, it all terminates on the side. I agree.

He though electrical, but since having the breakers off to the house did not change it he was stumped.

If it is a massive underground water way, well we've never heard it before.

I have a new theory....have not checked the science yet to see if feasible.

Remember, we had a MASSIVE storm yesterday, with lightening strikes everywhere and close. Could all that "juice" going into the ground, somehow be "discharging" into this grid. Remember this is totally bonded, with a 10 ft or whatever copper rod going in to the ground. And it was slowly getting softer due to the energy dissipating ?

It did not show any power on the meter or touch because it was grounding to the earth, so it was harmless. Think of it like big static electricity finding its way back home ?

Is there any way this explains it ?

I've heard underground medium voltage lines buzz before. It's scary sounding when you know what's causing it. I can't imagine that being the case because they shouldn't be all that deep and they should have been marked by the locators.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.