Pacfab Seahorse Leaking

Jul 10, 2013
Hi, I have a Pac Fab Seahorse Triton filter that has had a slow drip from the bottom for a while (2 years). It was so slow I never thought much of it. Well I noticed the other day that the chlorine is starting to eat away the concrete foundation of my garage it sits next to. So I decided to fix it thinking the o-ring was wore out. Here is an exploded view.
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-146-pa ... parts.aspx

The o-ring is item #19 in the diagram. I ordered a new ring and nut and ethylene washer. Replaced them and the leak was twice as bad. I see no cracks in the housing or the buttress (#27). So I order a new lower piping assembly (#24), the threads were a little wore out on the old one. Its still leaking, I tried adding silicone and different size o-rings. I just cant figure this out, there isnt much that could be out of place. Am I doomed to replace the filter? We plan to move next year and I really dont want to spend that kind of money before we move out.

Have you tried a thread sealant? I hear they are more effective than teflon tape for larger fittings.

You would need one that compatible with the materials in use. IE, get a PVC version if you are dealing with PVC.

Not that I am recommending this method but I have heard of some very creative uses with JB Weld where the bolt/fitting is coated with an oil or something else to prevent sticking to the JB Weld fix. Mind you this was oil pan bolts on a scooter, it worked for years as a oil bolt, threaded into JBweld.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.