How can I vacuum my spa?

May 10, 2013
Hi, I'm a complete pool noob, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I have a hose and scrubber attachment and I was wondering if I should use this to vacuum the leaves out of my spa. My understanding is that I can disconnect the automatic sweeper from the pool and attach the hose/scrubber to the intake in order to create suction to remove the dirt/leaves in the spa. My concerns are:

1. The sweeper wont detach from the intake. (photo attached) I've tried pulling and unscrewing, but it won't budge. Normally these just pop right out, right?
2. The sweeper has a debris bag, but the scrubber I have does not, so leave entering the intake valve seems to me to be a bad idea.

Please take a look at the photos and offer this noob some advice.

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

Looks like what you have is two different devices. The one screwed into the wall appears to be a pressure side cleaner and the one in the spa is a suction side cleaner. They won't interchange.

You should be able to use the suction cleaner by plugging it into a skimmer.

I prefer to use a vacuum plate that goes on top of the skinner basket but a lot of people just remove the basket as you said and stick the cuff right in the hole. The pump basket will catch it if you do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.