Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why not a downloadable version of The Pool Calculator?

1. Back To Top    #1

why not a downloadable version of The Pool Calculator?

why not a downloadable version of The Pool Calculator?

example, I have an old computer in the garage that is not on the network (yet), that soley serves as a Jukebox.

It would be great to have a standalone version of the pool calculator there, should I lose my acess to the web, or by some chance the site went down.
    Scott
    24' round Swimline pool, vinyl liner
    Waterway clearwater II cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Easily done. Go to The Pool Calculator in your web browser and save the page. The saved page can be opened by the web browser later and will work even without an Internet connection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sweet, thanks!
    Scott
    24' round Swimline pool, vinyl liner
    Waterway clearwater II cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not understanging this...and I am fairly computer literate.

If I save this link in favorites, and then re-open later, it just tries to connect to the internet again. If I turn off my Wi-Fi card and open the link, I get "cannot connect to the internet".

What am I doin' wrong here?
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Don't save the link, save the .html file or a web archive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    In firefox, go to the file menu. Choose "Save page as..." This will save the contents of the entire page to your hard drive (or whatever you tell it). Then you can access it through firefox with, for example, file://(name of file here with path). This can then be bookmarked. You can also open it using the menus. File, Open, and browse to the file. Again, after this, you can bookmark it.

Jason, thanks by the way for making your work freely available to everyone. Many people would be trying to turn a profit off of it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Got it, thanks...

And yes, thanks for making this available Jason.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    In firefox, go to the file menu. Choose "Save page as..." This will save the contents of the entire page to your hard drive (or whatever you tell it). Then you can access it through firefox with, for example, file://(name of file here with path). This can then be bookmarked. You can also open it using the menus. File, Open, and browse to the file. Again, after this, you can bookmark it.

Jason, thanks by the way for making your work freely available to everyone. Many people would be trying to turn a profit off of it.
    There is a donate button at the top of the pool calculator page. I hope that some of the thousands of users who have now used the calculator, and saved money by using it, have seen fit to donate. The kind of time and effort that Jason has put into his calculator should be supported financially. Personally, I think he should make a profit - he deserves it! I look at it this way, will he be more or less likely to improve and support the calculator in the future if it takes up time and costs money (time IS money)?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

9. Back To Top    #9
    I'm a strong proponent of the free software movement. It's based on the idea of cooperation and a belief in sharing and helping others without compensation. Almost all free software gives users the opportunity to donate, and I have done so many times with software that I use and enjoy. That is much more appealing to me though than someone who tells me I cannot use their software at all until I pay them. I hope he makes some money too, but I think it's admirable to not force it out of people, but rather to let those who benefit from it and can afford to do so express their gratitude, while allowing those who cannot afford it to still benefit.