Help! 5 kids dying to swim but pool is a swamp!

I can say that I've never needed clarifier. The only chemicals I add to my pool are bleach, baking soda, cyanuric acid, muriatic acid, and (once) soda ash.

First thing you need to do is drain some of the water out of your pool (NOT ALL OF IT). You want to get your CYA levels down to a manageable range. Don't run your pump and filter if the water can't reach the skimmer. Replace the water with tap water.

After that, you want to get your free chlorine levels up with bleach. Use the chart here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=2346 to determine shock levels based on your CYA level. I'd try to get your CYA down to 60 or so at least. You may have to do more than one drain/refill. You don't want to go too low or it can really mess up your pool. You are better off draining relatively small amounts, replacing, and repeating the process until your CYA levels are where you want.

In general, 1 gallon of 5.25% bleach will raise your pool's FC about 3.09 ppm. Divide the desired shock level by that to determine how many jugs to start with. Then test to make sure you got there. You will need to keep testing constantly and adding chlorine back in to bring levels back up to shock levels. When your pool doesn't drop more than 1ppm overnight (no sun), then you have probably killed off all the algae and can let chlorine levels drop to normal.

qoms,

It will be helpful if you add all your pool and equipment info in your signature. Just scroll up to the top of the page and select 'profile' in the sub-heading. :)

About the CYA, recommended level for non-swg outdoor is 30 to 50-ish. Here is a sticky that lists general chem levels:

"ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" by duraleigh: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953

You can use Jason's Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach to add for shock level. Link in my sig.

The BEST investment we made in our pool was a good test kit. I recommend the TF Test kit sold by duraleigh, a member here. He has the best customer service and is here to help us, too.

You will be a happy camper not buying clarifer or algaecide. Most of us do not use them.

Are you all saying that this BBB method with eliminate my need for clarifier?

Queen~

Here is my pool soley devoted to BBB with no clarifier at all, ever... not even algeacide. I usually add Bleach and Borax to raise PH and I did add Baking Soda the other day to bring up my TA.

You can have this water too with BBB!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.