Filling the Pool--Initial Chemistry

Jun 19, 2012
Hi everyone!

Well, after 11 months of work, we are FINALLY ready to fill our pool this weekend! The project took about 8months longer than expected thanks to a wet winter--and the fact that we didn't hire out anything--just me and my husband doing it!

Anyway, our pool is vinyl below ground pool with 23,000 gallons(25,000 gallons if filled to the coping). We are using a chlorine system with an in-line chlorinator(tablets). To be honest, I don't know where to start with the initial chemistry. I've done a lot of reading but I am on information overload right now!!

We will be filling with city water--we live in Denton, TX

I appreciate any help that's offered! :mrgreen:

The best thing you can do to start off right is get a good test kit. If you don't already have one. If you do then test the fill water for everything except CYA.

Keep in mind that the tablet feeder adds CYA as long as it's adding FC so it won't be long before it gets high enough that you'll need to drain some water to keep the CYA in check.

Start off by adjusting the pH if needed and then add about 2 ppm of FC using bleach until you get some CYA in there. You can start the feeder but you'll probably need to run it wide open until it gets some CYA in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.