New member from Texas

Jun 30, 2013
Hi, I have read a lot of the pool school and I am going to have a lot of questions! Our pool was finished 13 months ago, up until this month things have gone fairly easy. The water looks great, but it is stinging the kids eyes. I have a test from my pool builders store from Friday, I am getting another today but these were the numbers.

CYA 151
Free Chlorine 0 ( they keep saying I have phosphates, I treated that before I started reading this site. I was told you can't hold chlorine with phosphates. I have since shocked the pool and turned up my chlorinator and its seems to be holding fine.)
PH 8.3
Total Alk 172
Adjusted Total Alk 127
Total Hardness 247

Nothing on the printout about Calcium, is that in the total Hardness? Also, now that I understand CYA isn't this extremely high, they haven't said anything to me about it. I am using acid to lower the ph slowly so that my alk does not fall to low, I have already been down that road. I know this is a lot, but I appreciate any helpful input. :cool:

The Ph of the human eye is 7.3 or 7.4. Go ahead and lower your PH to that range and don't worry about the TA--which is too high anyhow but will drop. Ph is easier to manage at a lower TA. And yes, your CYA is too high. We'd recommend replacing 1/3 of your water ( probably twice) and lower that to manageable levels. See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. The level of FC to maintain at a minimum for your cya is MUCH higher than for a lower level of it. Mine does pretty well around 50 with pool in full sun. Phosphates are not your problem--that chlorinator is! Calcium is your hardness. Welcome to TFP.

:wave: Welcome to TFP
1st thing you need is a good test kit like I have
I bought the TF-100 test kit because my pooll was green and it has more of the regents you need for testing Free Chlorine
stay away from the pool store
They'll just make your problems worst by having you put in chems you don't need or want(like phosphate removers)
Just use liquid bleach or chlorine for shocking
Shocking here is a process not a product and it works very well
some other members with more experience will be by and help you better than I can

Using any type of dry chlorine (except cal hypo) adds CYA to the pool. The pool store doesn't want you to know that though. I bet your CYA is higher than what the reading is telling you, anything over 100 gets really hard to accurately measure.

I have new numbers from pool store. I have a kit but it does not have everything on it.
FC is 3
CH 200
CYA 120
Total Alk 120
PH 7.4

I drained down my water about two feet this morning. I am in the process of filling it back up. If I want to start using bleach instead of pucks do I just turn the chlorinator off and start? I have read pool school, still unsure of what I'm doing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.