Techniques used to not lose stir bar

dshuster

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Hunt Valley, MD
This might sound like a stupid question but was wondering what people do to not lose their stir bar with speedstir after each test. Mine fell in the pool and I had to go after it. I was wondering if someone had a technique so I would not get the chemicals all over my hands to get the stir bar out after each test.

Thanks
-Dimitry

I pour my test stuff out in a graveled dead zone in my yard, then rinse with more pool water from my sample cup. The final rinse is right above the step, so when they fall out, it's only 4" deep.

Or just get yourself a long nail or bolt and fish it out, since it's magnetic.

Dump it into a small bucket, bowl, or similar, through a strainer or colander if you don't want it on your hands. You can try reaching it with a bolt or something like that, but I don't think the magnet is strong enough to be picked up like that though.

I have multiple stir bars so I bring the cylinders inside and flush the cylinders and stir bars in a sink. I close the drain enough so the stir bars will not go down it. Ebay is a good place for extra stir bars.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.