Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to cool down pool temp

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to cool down pool temp

We've been in the 90's and I'm shocked at how fast our water temp is rising. I'm afraid that by mid July, it won't even be refreshing. We're supposed to hit 100 tomorrow and we're in North Carolina! We have terrible humidity to top it off.

What is the best way to cool pool water?
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Running your pump at night will help some. Running a fountain will help more. Anything that encourages evaporation will cool the water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll try to pick up a fountain then.
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been testing using my solar at night. It has kept the pool in the low 80's. The daytime has been a warm high 90's to low 100's for the last two weeks.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

5. Back To Top    #5

We got something like this but ours has a polaris adapter to plug into the wall. Since our jets are on the corners and the polaris adapter is right in the middle it looks great and works well, just run it at night when the air is cooler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swimming-Pool-WATER ... dZViewItem

I couldn't find the polaris one but I know they make one if you have a polaris.
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

6. Back To Top    #6

i also think there is a couple of posts on here of people that have made their own! When I priced out the polaris parts it was cheaper for me to buy it...go figure.
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

7. Back To Top    #7
    My water temp is now 94, too warm for my preference but OK with my daughter and grandson. I have a homemade fountain (PVC) which does a good job of aerating. I think I will get more cooling by running the fountain at night but probably want to run the filter and LQ during the day, is this correct? I can get more contacts for the timer to split the time I run the pump.
    Does anyone know a "rule of thumb" for how much DE to add to a sand filter, mine is 325#.
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Liquidator, Dolphin M400

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by poolhound
    Does anyone know a "rule of thumb" for how much DE to add to a sand filter, mine is 325#.
    Usually a cup or less... mix with some pool water and SLOWLY add to the skimmer (pump running) until you see a 1ppm rise in your pressure.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry
    A Pool Cooler in action as we are posting.

I believe you get better cooling in the middle of the day. The cooling is provided primarily thru evaporation and evaporation would be greatest when the temp/dewpoint spread is the widest...usually about 3-4pm.

Mine, too, is made from cobbled-together spare pieces of pvc with 1/4 inch hole drilled in the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

One way without disturding your water chemistry is to erect big umbrellas at pool edge and move your bar there too.

Nice fountain you got there Dave.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    A Pool Cooler in action as we are posting.

I believe you get better cooling in the middle of the day. The cooling is provided primarily thru evaporation and evaporation would be greatest when the temp/dewpoint spread is the widest...usually about 3-4pm.

Mine, too, is made from cobbled-together spare pieces of pvc with 1/4 inch hole drilled in the top.
    Dave,
    Can you post a picture close up of the actual fountain you built? Nice job and thanks for all the ideas for cooling.

I have a fountain for my spa and could let that spill over into the pool but I was thinking that would cause a huge amount of evaporation.

My water temp is also climbing fast every day as I get full sun. I wonder how much the evaporation will cost in terms of adding new water? I think my temp is around 90. Is it the aeration or evaporation that cools? If it is evaporation it seems that adding water each day will be costly and it seems that adding the cool water from underground will be one of the components to lowering the temp.
    24,500 vinyl pool, Intellichlor SWG,
    1-IntelliFlo 4x160 for pool & spa,
    1-4x160 for waterfall and Sheer decents,
    Triton II Sand filter, Easytouch control

12. Back To Top    #12
    For some reason I'm terrible at posting links to topics but...oh well...do a search under pool cooling and look at duraleighs topic on end of summer pool cooling. He has pics and how to build etc. Hope this helps.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

13. Back To Top    #13
    whoozer, I think this is the one....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... 01&start=0
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14
    duraleigh,

Very cool. Sorry for the pun. I assume this snugs up tight to the water coming back into the pool (don't know the name of the little jets), but what holds it in place? Mine has orifices that can be rotated and directed to different directions. I guess you unscrew this and then the put a threaded piece on the PVC so it's a hard connection to the ject?

6\8 and already 87 degree water temp.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    whoozer, I think this is the one....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... 01&start=0
    Thanks whoozer for the heads up and jjparish for the link. I could not get it to come up under the search. Probably because he said "cooler" instead of "cooling".

I wish there were some close up photos so I could see how he made the PVC device. Post any additional help to build this cooler if you have anything. I am going to try and run my intelliflow 2nd pump on very low speed and push water through my fountain that I purchased with my spa and see if the temp comes down. At 10:20 PM my temp is 90 degrees. Good news is that when I want to use my spa I only have to heat the water 12 degrees 8)
    24,500 vinyl pool, Intellichlor SWG,
    1-IntelliFlo 4x160 for pool & spa,
    1-4x160 for waterfall and Sheer decents,
    Triton II Sand filter, Easytouch control

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry
    I guess you unscrew this and then the put a threaded piece on the PVC so it's a hard connection to the ject?
    Yep. Once you remove the return eyeball, it's a standard pvc 1.5" thread.

The rest of it can be made in any shape or form you want. I used whatever I had to make 4 uprights but anything will work as long as you put some holes in it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

17. Back To Top    #17
    I notice your ladder is removed. Mine is right in front of the deep end jet too. I thought it was just a screwup on mine but now I wonder. Is that done on purpose?
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

18. Back To Top    #18

I just purchased a small fountain that hooks up to my return. It has been 100+ here in the south and I run my filter from 12-12 so that the fountain is cooling the water during the hottest time of the day. It really does help. My pool is in full sun until about 4:00 p.m. I can also turn the fountain off without having to remove it. I wish I was crafty enough to make my own.
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry
    I notice your ladder is removed. Mine is right in front of the deep end jet too. I thought it was just a screwup on mine but now I wonder. Is that done on purpose?
    Dayhiker,

I would appreciate it if you would stop pointing out what a lazy bum I am

Not on purpose, the ladders have been laying beside the pool the last 4 days.....it's just too hot to put them in.

If yours is in front of a return, I'd say that's a minor screwup on PB's part but nothing that you can't live with. Looking on the bright side, algae likes to hang around ladders and all that circulation around yours probably helps keep it clean.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

20. Back To Top    #20
    Yeah, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. It looked like maybe you had to remove your ladder to get the aerator on there so I thought maybe they were supposed to be in front of the ladder for some reason.

I thought your pool looked big in the photo then saw 25x54. Dang, that's enormous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast