What to adjust first for new pool water

Jun 26, 2013
So glad I found this forum. We've had our pool for three and everything has gone along swimmingly until this year. Then the chlorinator cell failed sometime during the winter. We had iron scale removed and the pool water could never recover. I've paid a service to care for the pool up until this point but the pretty much said the water needs to be replaced. Now I'm taking control and going to do it myself. I've read everything in pool school and many posts here in the forum. The pool was just filled with brand new clean water. Using my brand new my TF100 test kit I get the following results before doing anything to the pool:

FC 1
CC 3
TA 60
CH 40
CYA 0
ph 7.8
salt 0

This is where I think I need to be:
FC 4
TA 70
CH 280
CYA 70
ph 7.5

So what should I adjust first?
20 bags of salt (this is not new plaster)
2 cups muriatic acid
2 lb dichlor
142 oz stabilizer
885 oz calciu, chloride

Thanks for any assistance.
Greg

With CC levels of 3 ppm you likely need to go through the shock process before doing anything else, to complete it you may need to get your CYA level up to about 30 so you don't loose all your FC during the day, once you complete the shock process you can adjust the rest of chemicals levels.

see
pool-school/defeating_algae

p.s. note both CYA stabilizer and dichlor are acidic so you may not end up needing to use any muriatic acid, also you should probably go ahead and get that CH up first so as not to harm the pool finish

Also note that CYA can take a week from the time it fully dissolves to show up on the test, so don't over dose because it does not show up right away. It is also very slow to dissolve so we suggest hanging it in an old sock in front of a return, and squeezing from time to time to speed the process along.

Ike

+1 to what Issac-1 has suggested. Those directions will put your water in good shape in preparation for the shock process.

Only thing I will add is once you start the Shock Process, focus on testing FC and CC levels - don't worry about messing with the other parameters until you have completed this process. Chlorine will be consumed rapidly during the shock process, especially in the early stages - that's an entirely normal result of the chlorine doing its job. Therefore, you will need to test and replenish chlorine several times a day to keep FC within the shock range for your CYA (see Chlorine CYA Chart).

Although you have a SWG pool, you will need plain liquid bleach as your chlorine source during the shock process. The SWG will not produce the amount of chlorine needed for the shock process.

BTW, you can use liquid stabilizer if you don't mind the fact that it is considerably more expensive and a bit harder to find than granular stabilizer.

Oh...and...Welcome to TFP :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.